Stock clutch cable adjustment question

Hi guys,

New here, and I've got my first question.. Ive got the notorious chirping noise from a throwout thats not in contact on the pressure plate fingers. I know its the slack in the cable as all signs point there (some freeplay movement moving fork by hand, watching ithe cable do the cha-cha slide while its running lol etc..) If i let it run and gently pull the plastic/ rubber stop (piece that rests on the firewall) backwards, essentially tightening the cable the noise goes away. I have got underneath and looked at the quadrant and I'm pretty sure the teeth have seen there glory days, simply because when i try pulling up to ratchet the pawl, i hear no ratcheting, i have included the best photo i can take if anyone can see the wear. Everything appears to be OE,, cable is not adjustable from the fork, and obviously were still on the plastic quadrant. I have also tried making up a cheap spacer to essentially wedge infront of the firewall stopper, but its not a permanent fix.

Question is, is there anything else to do to try and tension it asides very very slightly resting my foot on it? 1" of travel depressing the pedal takes the noise away completely, I don't mind buying an aftermarket quadrant and adjustable cable, but id prefer to save the $200 or so if i can help it. Also for anyone whose wondering, its not so loose to the point where its grinding gears while shifting, it shifts nicely through all gears, and the clutch hasn't really slipped on me yet.
Fox quadrant.jpg

Any input and replies are much appreciated!! Also happy thanksgiving to all you american guys:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with above. The factory cable reached the end of it's service life 15 years ago, and you are already on borrowed time. It's a wear item, like brake pads.

Kurt

Awesome thanks guys, your all a real helpful bunch of dudes! I went online and lmr had a Black Friday sale I got an adjustable cable and firewall adjuster for 138$ cdn. Any tips on the install? Not looking forwards to trying to squeeze myself under the steering column lol

Awesome thanks guys, your all a real helpful bunch of dudes! I went online and lmr had a Black Friday sale I got an adjustable cable and firewall adjuster for 138$ cdn. Any tips on the install? Not looking forwards to trying to squeeze myself under the steering column lol

Lol, yeah that part of it sucks. I can sit beside the car with the door open and do all that stuff by feel now. There are a couple different variations of quandrants, cables, and adjusters. If you post a link, we can offer you better install advice.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Lol, yeah that part of it sucks. I can sit beside the car with the door open and do all that stuff by feel now. There are a couple different variations of quandrants, cables, and adjusters. If you post a link, we can offer you better install advice.

Kurt

Yup, here’s the link ! https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7553A/82-95-Mustang-Adjustable-Clutch-Cable-Kit

it’s the double hook quadrant, which hook is best to use? I’m curious to see how shredded the stock quadrant/pawl are gonna be, thanks again for the awesome replies guys !

Yup, here’s the link ! https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7553A/82-95-Mustang-Adjustable-Clutch-Cable-Kit

it’s the double hook quadrant, which hook is best to use? I’m curious to see how shredded the stock quadrant/pawl are gonna be, thanks again for the awesome replies guys !

Oh that's a complete :leghump: it all kit. You can pretty much put that in any way you want. Put the cable on the outer hook, set the firewall adjuster somewhere in the middle, and tighten the bottle on the bottom until the clutch fork has just the tiniest bit of wiggle. If that doesn't work, switch it to the inner hook. You're good dude. There is so much adjustment available in that kit, you have options.

Kurt

Oh that's a complete :leghump: it all kit. You can pretty much put that in any way you want. Put the cable on the outer hook, set the firewall adjuster somewhere in the middle, and tighten the bottle on the bottom until the clutch fork has just the tiniest bit of wiggle. If that doesn't work, switch it to the inner hook. You're good dude. There is so much adjustment available in that kit, you have options.

Kurt

Glad to hear, thanks brother !! I’ll let you guys know once the parts come in and I’ve installed them !!

Reactions: 1 user
Take the drivers seat out,makes a HUGE difference when you're unfamiliar with what's going on under the dash.

I think I just might do that. I can sort of work under there if I lay the seat down all the way, I’m a pretty lanky dude. Just two cotter pins one on the quadrant shaft and one on the pawl ? I know pawl is obviously under spring tension, LMR says to take the spring off first before the cotter pin.

Hi guys,

New here, and I've got my first question.. Ive got the notorious chirping noise from a throwout thats not in contact on the pressure plate fingers. I know its the slack in the cable as all signs point there (some freeplay movement moving fork by hand, watching ithe cable do the cha-cha slide while its running lol etc..) If i let it run and gently pull the plastic/ rubber stop (piece that rests on the firewall) backwards, essentially tightening the cable the noise goes away. I have got underneath and looked at the quadrant and I'm pretty sure the teeth have seen there glory days, simply because when i try pulling up to ratchet the pawl, i hear no ratcheting, i have included the best photo i can take if anyone can see the wear. Everything appears to be OE,, cable is not adjustable from the fork, and obviously were still on the plastic quadrant. I have also tried making up a cheap spacer to essentially wedge infront of the firewall stopper, but its not a permanent fix.

Question is, is there anything else to do to try and tension it asides very very slightly resting my foot on it? 1" of travel depressing the pedal takes the noise away completely, I don't mind buying an aftermarket quadrant and adjustable cable, but id prefer to save the $200 or so if i can help it. Also for anyone whose wondering, its not so loose to the point where its grinding gears while shifting, it shifts nicely through all gears, and the clutch hasn't really slipped on me yet.
Fox quadrant.jpg

Any input and replies are much appreciated!! Also happy thanksgiving to all you american guys:nice:
Clutch Adjustment for stock and aftermarket setups
Revised 28-Apr-2016 to include need for longer cable with single hook quadrant

Clutch adjustment with stock cable and quadrant
There is a self-adjusting mechanism for the clutch cable. As the clutch wears the cable tension changes, that is why there is a self-adjusting mechanism built into the clutch pedal. On the clutch pedal there is a toothed plastic quadrant with a ratchet pawl that engages the quadrant. As you pull up on the clutch pedal, it ratchets and takes any slack out of the clutch cable. Mess around with the pedal or even bump it while the end that fits in the clutch fork is loose, and it tries to take up the slack in the cable. That has the effect of shortening the cable.

Do the clutch adjustment first before considering any other problems. With the stock plastic quadrant and cable, pull up on the clutch pedal until it comes upward toward you. It will make a ratcheting sound as the self-adjuster works. To release to tension of the stock quadrant, use a screwdriver to lift the ratchet paw up and out of engagement with the quadrant teeth.

You can use a screwdriver to lift the ratchet pawl off the quadrant teeth. That will allow you to move the quadrant to allow more slack in the cable. If the cable is too loose, pull up on the pedal. The ratchet pawl will allow the quadrant to take up the slack in the cable and lock the adjustment.

The following applies to aftermarket clutch cables and quadrants.
Adjustable cables are used when the plastic quadrant is replaced with an aftermarket metal quadrant. The downside to this setup is that you have to get under the car to adjust the clutch. Add a firewall adjuster to an adjustable cable setup and you can spare yourself from getting back under the car to make any fine adjustment that you desire.

The fancy 2 and 3 hook quadrants are for use with stock length cable and a firewall adjuster. Use the firewall adjuster and screw in and out to take the slack out of the cable and get the clutch engagement point just where you want it.

Binding clutch cable
A binding clutch cable will make the clutch very stiff. If the cable is misrouted or has gotten too close to the exhaust, it will definitely bind. The binding common to adjustable cables is often due to misplacement of the adjusting nuts on the fork end of the cable. This will also cause the cable to wear and fray. Both nuts should be on the back side of the fork so that the domed nut faces the fork and the other nut serves as jam or locknut to the domed nut.

Clutch pedal adjustment
Clutch pedal adjustment with aftermarket quadrant and cable: I like to have the clutch completely disengaged and still have about 1.5” travel left before the pedal hits the floor. This means that I have only about 1” of free play at the top before the pedal starts to disengage the clutch. Keep in mind that these figures are all approximate. When properly adjusted, there will not be any slack in the clutch cable. You will have 4-15 lbs. preload on the clutch cable. With a non-adjustable cable and a firewall adjuster, the cable needs to go in the second hook of the quadrant. Single hook quadrants used with a firewall adjuster may make the clutch too tight, causing it to slip. The possible exception to this is the Maximum Motorsports cable which is a bit longer to make it work with a single hook quadrant.

Adjustable clutch cable tips:
Loosening the cable adjustment nut (throwout bearing arm moves to the rear of the car) moves the disengagement point towards the floor.

Tightening the cable adjustment nut (throwout bearing arm moves to the front of the car) moves the disengagement point towards the top of the pedal.

Firewall adjuster tips
Turning the firewall adjuster IN makes the engagement point closer to the floor since it loosens the cable. You have to push the pedal to the floor to disengage the clutch. Too loose a cable and the clutch won't completely disengage and shifting will be difficult. Gears will grind and you may have difficulty getting the transmission in first gear when stopped.

Turning the firewall adjuster OUT makes the engagement point farther from the floor since it tightens the cable. You push a short distance to disengage the clutch. Too tight a cable will cause clutch slippage.

Aftermarket solutions to the problem:
The quadrant needs to be replaced if you use any type of aftermarket cable or adjuster. My preference is a Ford Racing quadrant, adjustable cable and Steeda firewall adjuster. The adjustable Ford Racing cable is just as good as the stock OEM cable. It allows a greater range of adjustment than a stock cable with a aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster. Combined with the Steeda adjuster, it lets you set the initial cable preload and then fine tune the clutch engagement point to your liking without getting under the car.

Using a stock OEM cable, firewall adjuster and a single hook quadrant may result in not having any free pedal travel before the clutch starts to disengage. I found this out the hard way.

See Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts l 800-230-3030 for the following parts.

Ford Racing M-7553-B302 - Ford Racing V-8 Mustang Adjustable Clutch Linkage Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com Cable and quadrant assembly $90
fms-m-7553-b302_w.jpg

The Ford Racing Adjustable cable is available as a separate part:
Clutch Cable, Adjustable, Ford, Mercury, 5.0L, Kit FMS-M-7553-C302_HE_xl.jpg

[url=http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDA-555-7021/]Steeda Autosports 555-7021 - Steeda Autosports Firewall Cable Adjusters - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Steeda firewall adjuster. $40

575166.jpg

Fix for the quadrant end of the cable popping out of the quadrant when installing a replacement cable courtesy of Grabbin' Asphalt
attachments\575167

Help for those who have replaced the clutch assembly and are still having problems with adjustment:
The next step doesn't make much sense it you already have the transmission installed, but just for sake of discussion, here it is:
The throwout bearing sits in the clutch fork arm with the wave springs pressing on the rear flange of the throwout bearing.
?temp_hash=3b781a008f68f70d0bde9d6310e08fdb.gif

Major differences between the distance between the flywheel surface and the clutch fingers may require tinkering with the clutch fork pivot ball. Stack your old pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel up like they were when installed in the car. Tighten down all the pressure plate bolts and measure the distance between the clutch fingertips and the flywheel face.
Too much thickness will cause the clutch fork arm to sit too far back to get the clutch cable on the quadrant. It may even sit against the rear or the bell housing hole for the clutch fork arm. In that case, reduce the pivot ball height.
Too little thickness will cause the clutch fork arm to sit too far forward and bottom out against the front side of the bell housing hole for the clutch fork arm.. This will prevent the clutch from fully disengaging.
In other words, the clutch fork arm should sit positioned midway or a little towards the rear in the bell housing hole for the clutch fork arm when the cable is properly tensioned.