• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Engine 1990 GT - Cobra Intake identification

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2007_Crown_Vic
  • Start date Start date Oct 29, 2018
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,048
10,672
213
polk county florida
Oct 31, 2018
#21
  • Oct 31, 2018
  • #21
I didn't change mine, I'll run it 50k and change it then, I change the trans fluid about 30-35k, I use royal purple in there too.
 

Blown88GT

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1999
2,283
524
164
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Nov 1, 2018
#22
  • Nov 1, 2018
  • #22
2007_Crown_Vic said:
...
1. If I were to go with 3.73's how would first gear be, and |I guess same question applies to 3.55's. I have heard some people say first gear is basically useless after the gear change, but I think that would be more for the 4.10's...

2. I suppose one other thing I will have to check is what gear is currently in there. As far as I know it is stock, but maybe it has been changed already at some point. Am I right that the way to do this is jack the back end up and rotate the tire one full turn and count the drive shaft rotations? That seems to be what I recall hearing.
Click to expand...
1. 1st gear is useless with the stock T5
2. Factory rear was 2.73 with manual, 3.27 with auto.
See the chart here:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-differential-gears.html
 

2007_Crown_Vic

Active Member
Aug 19, 2016
133
26
48
Nov 2, 2018
#23
  • Nov 2, 2018
  • #23
Lots of good information there, thanks!
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Nov 3, 2018
#24
  • Nov 3, 2018
  • #24
“Back in the day”, a major car magazine did a performance comparison test on the Gt-40 style intakes. Cast or not, they were so similar in performance that the EGR style, or lack of it, was the only real concern when getting one. 15-20 hp/torque addition was what used to be quoted with stock heads. Then with the base ported by Tmoss, you will have the best street and a good strip intake for new heads for a lot less $$ than any new one. Check out Todd Moss’s site for info.
http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
He has a very clear cobra intake shot here.
http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/Ford_GT40_Cobra_Explorer_Intake_Design_Observations.pdf
The link to the comparison article was on the old StangNet site, but I am having trouble pulling up many older posts.
 

2007_Crown_Vic

Active Member
Aug 19, 2016
133
26
48
Apr 10, 2019
#25
  • Apr 10, 2019
  • #25
Hi guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread but figured it would be better than remaking the same one. As with the first post, what do you think of this intake? I believe this time it may be an actual Cobra setup, but again the ad seems to get the years wrong by saying 1979-1993. I just wanted to make sure it is one and if I were to get it and put in on the stock 1990 engine I wouldn't run into any issues where I have things with nowhere to connect them. I also think the price is high based on the ranges given earlier. He is asking about $300 USD and they are a bit of a drive to get them too.

The other project should be done this month and then I can get back to the to-do list for this one, finally....
 

Attachments

  • $_59 (1).webp
    71.1 KB · Views: 192
  • $_59 (2).webp
    92.6 KB · Views: 201
  • $_59 (4).webp
    67.5 KB · Views: 190
  • $_59 (5).webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 179
  • $_59.webp
    86.7 KB · Views: 174

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,328
18,052
224
Massachusetts
Apr 10, 2019
#26
  • Apr 10, 2019
  • #26
That is a 1993 Cobra intake, but it's the china cast version that Ford sold from 2004ish to about 2014 or so. So while it is a Ford part, it's quality was never regarded as equal to the real intake some from 1993-2003.

$300 is about what it would sell for, with real Cobra intakes selling for almost $500 now.

It would bolt fine on your engine. I have a real 93 cobra intake on my '88.

A better deal however would be to buy an early 1996 explorer intake, which can be had for roughly $100
 

2007_Crown_Vic

Active Member
Aug 19, 2016
133
26
48
Apr 10, 2019
#27
  • Apr 10, 2019
  • #27
Thanks, that is about what the guy replied back with. I was just getting ready to post an update but you beat me to it. Maybe I will see if he is willing to sell it for less and see what happens.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
527
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
M
2001 cobra ignition timing off
  • Mike3
  • Jul 13, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
9
Views
290
SVT Tech Forum Aug 2, 2026
Mike3
M
Interior and Upholstery 87-93 Mustang Metal Side Headliner Trim Clips Upper Hatchback Coupe Door OEM 524
  • Noobz347
  • May 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
460
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 25, 2025
Noobz347
D
Foxbody Misfire 5.0 Swap
  • DPORTER0729
  • May 2, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
701
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 13, 2025
90sickfox
L
95 gt engine vibration
  • lenzgt
  • May 11, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
6
Views
306
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech May 26, 2026
lenzgt
L
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?