1990 LX

Fri Guy

15 Year Member
May 10, 2007
Was leather interior an option on a 1990 LX 5.0 Auto? Came across a local one for sale from the original owner. Completely stock other than they swapped the auto to manual transmission. Odometer reads 22,707 miles. Only a couple of pics posted of it but looks like it’s pretty clean and hardly driven. Asking $12K for it. Not sure if that is a good price or not. Trying to research as much as I can before going to see it Monday. That’s the earliest they will be available to show it.

• Sponsors (?)

8F397FDC-0ABA-4B99-8C0E-384B1FE1F7B6.jpeg
D0D984B4-0F13-4992-8389-083A3D4E5FBA.jpeg

Thanks man. Do you guys think the auto to manual conversion hurts the value of the car?

Everyone is going to have different opinions on it. My car is an auto to manual swap so I don’t have any reservations about it depending on how it’s done.

I’d probably ask about that. Is the auto computer still in there? Was the trans harness swapped out to the manual harness? O2 sensor jumper repinned if the ECU was changed?

Other than that it looks like a clean car so I wouldn’t dwell too long on the trans thing. I’d plug the vin into a carfax and see if any records come up with mileage over 22k to see if it’s 122k or even 222k. Those seats look darn good and ford leather seats tear up if you even look at them funny.

Good point. I plan on doing a carfax report on it to see what’s the last reported mileage. What’s the average price going on a fox body in this condition? If it’s really 22K original miles I’d imagine a higher value but what’s the value at 122K miles?

its worth whatever someone is willing to pay
if its the best , rust free one you have seen then it doesnt matter 22 or 122k miles.
i have never left any car i owned stock for long and foxes have so so much upgrades and aftermarket parts ready to go.
the prices like all used cars have shot up so 12k might be right were it will sell.

Doubt its 22k, first who trans swaps a 22k mile car if your the orig owner? the engine bay is pretty neglected for such low miles. Looks pretty decent and unmolested though, I just wouldn't count on the mileage being correct. Owned plenty where car fax showed very few reports but all rolled over at least once.

I had an aunt who went a bit senile... She had a Mercury Montego that had 13K on it that looked like it was 313K...
Passenger side of the car was smashed in from hitting the side of the garage door opening multiple times, the engine compartment looked like the car had been 4 wheelin in a mud pit, and the interior almost needed replacing,,,, Never say never....

Thanks. I’ll definitely ask about the conversion. If the auto computer is still in there is that a bad thing?

I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. Plenty of converted cars running the auto ECU.

I’d have to dig around that car a bit to determine what I think it’s worth. I bet that mileage is 122k and a carfax would show it if inspections are logged by the state and reported.

$12k isn’t a stretch. I might try for $10k or so. This is assuming it’s relatively clean underneath and that engine bay just needs elbow grease to clean it up. If the underside is heavily surface rust, I’m thinking $8-10k.

Did a auto check on the vin # and it shows just one owner. Everything looks good but I was wanting to see the odometer readings at the yearly inspection/registration renewal but it didn’t show any recorded. Maybe I should had done the carfax instead.

65F8D7AA-61DE-475E-8A34-3C7B3D84A2D7.jpeg

Shows one owner only and not having the first vehicle state inspection until 2017 with no reported mileage. 2018 shows 22,595 miles and every year after that is just a few miles on the odometer.

Reactions: 1 user
Question is, between 1990 and 2017 did it drive 122k miles?

Since it’s only a 5-digit odometer, the inspection station might only record down what it is seen on the odometer and not note the rollover.

What does the owner claim? Do they say it has 22k miles or do they just say “the odometer shows 22k”

The carfax states that between 1990 and 2017 the car was never inspected. Not sure how someone would put 122K miles on the car without ever getting an inspection done on it.

The seller said the car belonged to her father who passed away in 2017. As far as she knows it’s 22K miles.