Electrical 1990 mustang lx 5.0 won’t crank or start looses electricity

frank17k

Jul 16, 2022
Oakland
I put the key in the ignition and get the courtesy chime and lights on the dash. As soon as I turn the key to start the ca, I hear a click and all power dies. No more electricit, chimes, or lights on dash. I disconnect the battery for a few, connecte, and try again. The same thing happen. I changed the strarter solenoid and the starter. Still doing it. I NEED HELP. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I would say a bad connection between the battery and the starter but that's just one cause. Here's a link that should help you find/fix the issue.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say a bad connection between the battery and the starter but that's just one cause. Here's a link that should help you find/fix the issue.
It says I don’t have permission to view.

You have a bad electrical connection, or a corroded/dirty terminal or a bad ground on the engine block or all of the above.

The standard click and nothing is a dead giveaway to this.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
You have a bad electrical connection, or a corroded/dirty terminal or a bad ground on the engine block or all of the above.

The standard click and nothing is a dead giveaway to t

The standard click and nothing is a dead giveaway to this.
thanks I’ll look at this

I put the key in the ignition and get the courtesy chime and lights on the dash. As soon as I turn the key to start the ca, I hear a click and all power dies. No more electricit, chimes, or lights on dash. I disconnect the battery for a few, connecte, and try again. The same thing happen. I changed the strarter solenoid and the starter. Still doing it. I NEED HELP. Thanks in advance.
Did you check the ignition switch in the column? They have a tendency to separate due to faulty construction. The metal tabs that hold it together were not crimped properly. The picture shows mine
IMG_0225.JPG

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for all the info. After changing the battery, solenoid, and starter. I finally hit it to start. Turned out to be the silliest thing ever.

The positive cable was a little loose from the terminal. It would not make enough contact to get it to start.