Drivetrain 1991 lx 5.0 aod trans issue

The car is bone stock, runs great but the transmission shifts at like 4000rpm, it refuses to shift at lower rpm... it doesn't bang into gear or anything just not shifting at the right rpms... I was told its probably the TV cable needing adjusting. Any suggestions would be great. This is my 1st foxbody but not my 1st mustang. Trying to find a good video to adjust this cable seems to be impossible.

• Sponsors (?)

I would check the TV cable first. It might need adjustment or possibly replacement. I currently have a Lentech valvebody in mine, but I'm sure adjustment is the same. My cable froze up/stuck over last winter and initially would not shift into OD at all (Lentech VB will lock out OD under WOT). I found a good used one and all good now.

The way I set mine this spring/summer was to unhook from the throttle arm and I moved the adjuster so that I had to pull the cable approximately 1/2" (from completely relaxed) before it could be snapped back into the throttle arm. This gave me a nice reasonable shift into OD. Originally I set it according to Lentech instruction manual and I could not get shift into OD below 55 mph and would downshift on deceleration at 40-45. Now it will shift into OD when I lift the throttle above 45 mph and not downshift on deceleration until 30-35, nice when you want to coast around through town.