1992 2.3L NA no CEL

SpeedLobo

Dec 20, 2019
USA
New to Mustangs, was gifted a 92 Fox body. In the process of trying to register here in California. Tech at smog check station noted- accurately- that there isn’t a CEL with key on, not running (or any other time). Car was originally registered in FL.
Any tips, links, or other helpful guidance is greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Well, first things first, did you check the bulb in the dash? I know, it's silly, but entirely likely.

When you first turn the key to the ON position, the CEL and AMP lights should both come on.

Reactions: 1 users
Read through this thread, later 2.3 mustangs are different from 5.0 stangs.
alex has a good point about the bulb, you can pull the instrument pod, if you shine a light into the face of the pod to locate the cel bulb.

Reactions: 1 user
4 cyl and V8 are different but the CEL circuit is mostly the same. Check bulb. If bulb is ok, you're going to have to look at the wiring (via voltage drop test and/or ohm test between ECU and bulb socket and everywhere between). Also check your grounds.

The bulb gets +12v from the ignition switch in the run position; the ECU grounds the other side to make the bulb work via ECU pin 17 as I remember. If all ok, you may have a defective ECU.

Good news / bad news- the bulb was bad, new bulb lit up just fine. Bad news, the light stays on. Ordered the OBD 1 scanner to get codes. I don’t know when the last time the car received a tune was. Thinking about plugs, wires, and the EGR valve as interim steps- thoughts?

On plugs: make sure you get DOUBLE platinums/iridiums. If I remember correctly, 92 had the "wasted spark" ignition, so double platinums run best. Autolites are plenty good and still rather inexpensive. Post back with the codes you get, we'll help you along from there.

you don't need no scanner to check codes on the old fox body. Google/youtube it. All u need is a piece of wire. Jumper it then count the flashes. If you have a late '92 or '93 you will have 3 digit codes most likely.

platinum plugs are a waste of money on a 2.3. Copper is fine and cheaper. All I've ever run with the few times I've tried the gimmicks and saw no, zero, difference other than a lighter wallet. Just change them every 50k miles and they'll be fine. Do the timing belt too which is easy on a 2.3 SOHC.

Thanks everyone for the tips.
Status update-
I’ve not pulled the codes yet but I have swapped out the plugs, plug wires, coil packs and air filter. The car runs a lot better so I am hoping this solved the issue causing the CEL to come on. I disconnected the battery to clear the codes. Will let you know the result.

I have codes! Any help on the cause is greatly appreciated
334- EVP sensor closed valve above max voltage
224- erratic pulses IDM to PCM
998- Hard fault FMEM engaged
224- coil 1, 2, 3 or 4 circuit malfunction

334-pull the EGR valve off, and clean it. You can clean the pintle with some mineral spirits, a small screwdriver to get the crusty stuff off. Takes a while. Or replace it but they are not inexpensive.

224-check your SPOUT and it's connector. Remove the SPOUT and then clean the connection.

998-you'll get that if you have a major malfunction.

The coil code should be 215 or 216 by the wording, however you've got it as 224 (which is IDM code).

Once those easy things are taken care of, clear the codes and start over. Go for a drive if possible. Do the codes come back? If the 998 and 224 come back, look very closely at your wiring between the EEC and the engine; this includes removal and cleaning of the main engine harness connectors. Similar to the 5.0 "salt and pepper shakers", disconnect them, clean, repair the pins, then reconnect.

• Useful
Today’s update: replaced the Ignition Control Module, EGR valve and position sensor, and the O2 sensor- codes cleared and the 2.3 is running strong. May just be able to get this Fox to pass smog. Today it is at the muffler shop getting catalytic converters installed- they had been removed by previous owner. After that we go to the cert station.
Thanks for the help getting me this far! :hail:

Update for the group, the '92 passed smog- this was a pretty big effort in reintroducing a car to California that had been taken out of the country for almost two decades.
After clearing the codes I realized I had not checked the catalytic converter/s- both were missing. Exhaust has been redone and is CA compliant- SMOG PASSED!
Now I'm dealing with deferred/ignored maintenance, oil leaks, etc.
Thank you again for the help!