1992 Mustang- Need Help

Nae951

Aug 21, 2016
I have a 1992 Ford Mustang 2.3 LX
I need to know how to reset the codes so I can do a diagnostic reading on it . I tried to unplug my battery but still not resetting ... My check engine light stays on
Any advice ?

• Sponsors (?)

If the cel is on when you restart, then you have a fault that immediately causes the light to come on.

Have you actually dumped the code to see what it is?

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I pulled some codes
But now that I believe I have fixed at least one of the problems
The same codes keep coming up
There has to be a way to reset the codes for my model .. I just can't seem to find anything other then unplugging the battery
What's the "cel" ?

CEL = check engine light

To reset the codes, you unplug the battery for 15 mins (30 mins if you want to be really sure), OR pull the jumper wire used to jump out the test plug in the middle of the code reading process. If using a test meter, the manual usually says to erase codes, turn the code reader off during running of the codes to erase them all.

BUT, if there is a fault, as soon as you reconnect power and start the engine, the CEL will come back.

Only a handful of the 100 possible codes trip the CEL. What code numbers are you getting? Are you getting a code 15?

Last edited:
Finally found the list of the codes that immediately trip the CEL.

From here

the following failures or codes are the only ones that would trigger the CEL/MIL to turn on for the time the failure condition is present, once the failure is not present, the CEL will turn off:

CIRCUIT CODES
ACT 54, 64
ECT 51, 61
BP/MAP 22
MAF 26, 56, 66
TPS 23, 53, 63
EVP 31, 32, 34, 35
HEGO(1) 41, 91, 42, 92

So, are any of the codes you are getting the above codes?

Also, from the same site

Clearing EEC-IV Codes:

• 1. Disconnect battery (-) terminal for 3-5 minutes.
    2. The above will cause a code 15 (Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Test Failed) to be logged since power was removed from the system memory.
    3. To clear this code (or any other codes) you could also use the alternate/quick procedure.

Alternate Procedure to Clear Codes:

• 1. Setup the system to run a KOEO self-test.
    2. Turn Ignition On.
    3. As soon as the codes start to flash, disconnect the STI jumper wire.
    4. Turn Ignition Off, set the system to run a KOEO self-test again, and confirm code 15 is cleared from memory (CM codes).

Reactions: 1 users