1993 Cobra Guys out there need some info....

PJM99

Aug 21, 2004
CT
I posted this in 5.0 as well but maybe some 93 Cobra guys may know.

Okay, I search the threads and found nothing useful. I'm sure this is a repost but if anyone could help out or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Well, usually when I fire the car up it lopes a little bit. I think they also call it surging. I’ve read up a little and I’ve heard that it is common that the ECU is trying to find the engine perfect operating RPM. I’m not sure if it’s a Cobra thing or a 5.0 thing. I have a dealer brochure from 93 which has something about how the engine has something to find it's cycle or something like that. Hopefully and fellow 93 owners may know.

I’ve had a few suggestions to clean the MAF, which I did and it seemed to help for a few days but it returned. So I cleaned it again and it still Lopes.

My own theory is the Cats, right now I’m just running a straight H-pipe and Flowmasters without Cats. I’m thinking that there is not enough heat being built up at the 02 sensor at start up and that is what causes it to lope.

Anyone have suggestions about this. I’m sure this has been beaten to death on here but we’ll see. Once the car warms up it runs perfect. It doesn’t go through oil and the timing and fuel mixture seem to be right on. It has great power and awesome acceleration.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ok so when u turn the car on, it will idle high for a few seconds and come back down? does it try to die when it comes back down?
if your car idles high for a few seconds and comes back down on its own or you tap the gas and it comes back down, that is normal. if it is surging trying to find another RPM u could have a vac leak. check your lines to the upper manifold and check your PVC filter. make sure none of your lines have hairline cracks. the PVC could also play apart of it so u can try and swap it out.

also check your timing and see what it is set for. that might be another thing!