1994 GT - Tackling AOD Swap, Help

I just bought a 94 gt with 331 stroker unsure of cam and stroker kit. Car is carburated with an aode transmission. Car does not shift into 3rd 1st and 2nd gear ok but just stays in 2nd or maybe it's skipping 2nd and going straight to 3rd not sure. I have a built aod trans to swap but am unsure if I should or any problems its going to cause. Is there a way to make everything work without alot of changes don't have the money to spend right now and need to drive this car.

• Sponsors (?)

So motor is carbed, what is controlling the trans? AODE means electronic control, no TV cable. If using stock computer to control trans, I am sure there are some engine parameters it is looking for from the EFI system it is not getting. A regular AOD with TV cable might be the answer.

If PCM is controlling trans and no TV cable, computer would want to know throttle position, engine load, accelerating or decelerating. Cruise control probably doesn't work either.

If you are staying carbed, I would do the swap for your built AOD (get rid of the electronic control) and add a TV cable connecting carb linkage to trans. You should be good to go. A number of aftermarket cables out there for $100-150. AOD should fit right in place of your AOD-E.

That will be way easier than trying to "trick" the PCM into thinking you still have EFI and controlling the trans right. Or source an aftermarket electronic transmission control (they are not cheap though).

Reactions: 1 user
If the AOD works well, there would be no need to swap back to AOD-E when switching back to EFI again, just connect TV cable to throttle.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe 3rd gear is toast. That's what happened to me and my AOD in the spring. Doing a 1/4 mile test on the street, manually shift 1st to 2nd at 5500, hooks hard and pulls great. Shift the 3rd at 5500 and zoom - RPMs blow right on up to 6500 and nothing. Still had 1st and 2nd. Now I have a T5. My big project for the spring/summer was going to be 5 lug conversion. Instead I did manual swap and 5 lug both during my 1 week vacation. No regrets and having a blast.

It was in the car but not fully hooked up when I bought it then swapped a aod in because of the carb issues. But the aod was junk so I swapped the carb for a fox body intake and put the aod back in everything hooked up now still doesn't shift I'm think stuck accumulator or bad shift solenoid wat do you guys think 3rd isn't neutral it doesn't even try to shift after second