1995 5.0 charging issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

it was originally v6 car

That really makes no difference at all. If it's a 5oh swap then it has a 5oh computer. If it has a 5oh computer then you need to be able to pull codes from it. If you cannot pull codes from it, it is not a properly functioning 5oh computer.

So then, you see the issue. No code, no computer, there's your issue.

not sure i bought it i looked up the number on the computer it said it was 5.0 i got it the previous people did the swap i don’t know what the hell they got on it i’ve tried a lot got it to stay running it idles up to 4grand on its own sometimes and when i try to drive it throws me around back and fourth falling on its face

you need an obd-1 scanner in order to diagnose it properly

$250 from moates.net it is called a quarterhorse for eec-iv and eec-v

You do not need a $250 dollar anything to scan OBD-1. GTFO with that garbage.

Follow JR's procedure in the link I left above. It can be performed using a paper clip.

If you would like to have a scanner, here's one for cheap and it works great:
Amazon product ASIN B000EW0KHWView: https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-Ford-Digital-Reader/dp/B000EW0KHW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=25LFQSABY0U15&keywords=obd1+scanner+ford&qid=1566696315&s=gateway&sprefix=OBD1%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-1

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
not sure i bought it i looked up the number on the computer it said it was 5.0 i got it the previous people did the swap i don’t know what the hell they got on it i’ve tried a lot got it to stay running it idles up to 4grand on its own sometimes and when i try to drive it throws me around back and fourth falling on its face
First, use some punctuation, it make for a more understandable paragraph.
I am a visual kinda guy so post up a pic or two of the engine compartment.
Since you say it decodes to a 5.0 car does it have GT badges on it?
I suspect it needs a good going over like sensors connected and checked for vacuum leaks. Lets start here:

Response maybe a little harsh @Noobz347 ? Yes, a paper-clip or a $20 code tool can get you started. But if you haven't any codes, you truly are just guessing at what might be wrong when diagnosing driveability issues. To make an OBD-I computer as read-able as an OBD-II (i.e. watching real-time data, checking sensor outputs, etc.) and to diagnose trickier problems, a QuarterHorse is pretty indispensible. Whether or not that fully applies here idk - but I think that was the intention behind the prior post. The gentleman's a pro tuner, and I'm just an amateur, but once I watched the output of a lazy O2 sensor that was causing surging problems at cruise on my car (no codes, no nothin'), I kind of came to agree that I'd be completely blind without the tool, and that it's a fairly small price to pay if we want our old SN95's to be as easy to diagnose as a newer car without as much guessing / parts-throwing.

With that said, the paper-clip and surging idle checklist should more than help the op get started, I agree.

Response maybe a little harsh @Noobz347 ?

Wasn't harsh at all. A quarter Horse in no way addresses any issue in this thread. Who has a couple hundred bucks lying around to toss at an EEC that may not even be functioning?

The checklist JR created many years ago, is designed specifically to keep folks from throwing money out the window. I'm surprised he didn't list the national stock number for the paper-clip. :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
I've got a QH for my fully built stroker/SC motor. Dude is right.. you don't need a damn QH to diagnose this, lol.

Jokers. Stop lyin' to the fella.. look at his sig.. "EFI DYNO TUNING" lol trying to sell his :poo: skills as a "tuner" lmfao

Stick to Willie at Dirty Racing for your QH needs.

Also.. it's more than a couple hundo. It's like 250 to 3 for the QH. Then it's 100 for the license to EVEN USE the binary Editor.. then it's another 100 to 200 for anyone to actually give you a tune.. you are talking like 5-700 MINIMUM to get going.. and that's being generous.

FYI @RioRed95Cobra the QH is still $249 (+tx if applicable). You can get TunerPro for free, not as easy to use as BE but does everything you'd need. See here: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/tunerpro-rt-for-quarterhorse.882318/

You can also tune it yourself if you have the time, it's not that hard to learn honestly. So $250 to get going is the bottom line, and goes up from there.

I've heard all good things about Willie. I've also heard all good things about Decipha, and he's schooled me on some tuning concepts here on Stangnet on a few occasions (I am not one of his customers nor do I know the guy). Your statement belittling his skills tells me you're commenting from a position of complete ignorance (and your usual level of unnecessary venom which tells me that you really need to get laid or something).

Read some of the stuff he's posted on that link, he knows his stuff, I used those references quite a bit when I was learning. You might actually learn something, and he doesn't charge for the info.

Now, again, I don't disagree you should start with pulling codes on the self-tests, will help validate everything is at least mostly-working, and let you know what obvious problems exists.

Just disagree that piling on a guy who's incredibly knowledgeable and contributes to this site is an appropriate response to the very valid suggestion that truly diagnosing driveability issues might take a little more than the self-tests the OBD-I can give you. For someone looking for OBD-II type readouts, you'll get that from QH.

Seriously @Noobz347 you've got @RioRed95Cobra upvoting your comment, is that where you wanna be when Jesus comes back? :)

• Winner
FYI @RioRed95Cobra the QH is still $249 (+tx if applicable). You can get TunerPro for free, not as easy to use as BE but does everything you'd need. See here: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/tunerpro-rt-for-quarterhorse.882318/

You can also tune it yourself if you have the time, it's not that hard to learn honestly. So $250 to get going is the bottom line, and goes up from there.

I've heard all good things about Willie. I've also heard all good things about Decipha, and he's schooled me on some tuning concepts here on Stangnet on a few occasions (I am not one of his customers nor do I know the guy). Your statement belittling his skills tells me you're commenting from a position of complete ignorance (and your usual level of unnecessary venom which tells me that you really need to get laid or something).

Read some of the stuff he's posted on that link, he knows his stuff, I used those references quite a bit when I was learning. You might actually learn something, and he doesn't charge for the info.

Now, again, I don't disagree you should start with pulling codes on the self-tests, will help validate everything is at least mostly-working, and let you know what obvious problems exists.

Just disagree that piling on a guy who's incredibly knowledgeable and contributes to this site is an appropriate response to the very valid suggestion that truly diagnosing driveability issues might take a little more than the self-tests the OBD-I can give you. For someone looking for OBD-II type readouts, you'll get that from QH.

Seriously @Noobz347 you've got @RioRed95Cobra upvoting your comment, is that where you wanna be when Jesus comes back? :)

I have a different perspective. If you want to talk about it more, PM me. Jesus isn't part of the equation.

Yeah man, keep promoting liars.

See where that gets you.

Also.. lol.... nm.. I'll just stop helping folks when I have answers.

Thanks for making it easy :)

Seriously, decipha has put more time and energy into free write ups than any tuner I’ve ever seen. He’s very active on the eectuning forum and is most always willing to help.

I spent $450 out the door for my entire qh package, and That includes the license and shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.