Engine 1995 5.0 WIP... head removal question

I recently picked up a 1995 (was a v6 to 5.0 conversion) for damn near nothing because my son wanted to work on a car. It runs pretty good (at. Least it did before I tore top end off) but has what I’m pretty sure is a blown head gasket. I got the intake and manifold off ok but ran into an issue. This is my first more modern car I’ve worked on as most of my past projects were 70’s cars with minimal accessories and obviously no EFI. It looks like the alternator bracket (pass side) and power steering pump (drivers side) are attached to the front of the heads and I’m having problems figuring out how to get all of the bolt out or mor accurately access to the bolts. Sorry if this is a dumb ass question but it’s driving me mad. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

*Sorry if pics are huge... posted from iPad and couldn’t resize them.

66D0CA39-20C9-4FFE-9E19-1D40C0D5E0E0.jpeg
57926DB5-2F44-4212-940E-F4B8574AC44F.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

You'll need a power steering pulley pulling tool to remove the pulley from the pump in order to access the bolts that secure the pump to the bracket. That should leave the remainder of the fasteners securing the bracket to the heads accessible. In the case of the alternator side, I would just remove the tensioner. There are likely bolts beneath there. Best bet is to just start removing things and keep the bolts with their respective brackets.

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise getting a good assembly manual for that year stang, chilton/haynes are ok for most stuff but if your going in depth get the assembly manual, I think you can get them from motorbooks but ebay should have them too.
+1 on a good time with the kid working on it :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
Most parts stores rent the pullers for free. You can also get a set of amazon for $20, the same one oreilleys will rent you. Good to have around.

Most likely that sumbitch will be very tight, it will take some elbow grease to get it off as it’s an interference fit.

Besides that it’s pretty straightforward to get the accessories off.

Reactions: 1 users