1995 gt to gt-40 ford racing engine

dcevil79

Jun 11, 2007
Virginia
hi can anyone help me out? i just swap out my tired 5.0 motor for a ford racing gt-40 engine and i have been back to the shop that did the swap twice already and the problems still exist. the idle is horrible and stalls when put in gear, it shutters and jerk at low speeds, and the most scary part is the brakes suck now the pedal is hard like a rock. i was told it's the computer or the trans. i had both checked before the swap. the cam is a e303 and i am running a stock cobra intake with the stock throttle body and a one inch intake spacer. btw my car is a 1995 gt

• Sponsors (?)

easiest thing to do is to get the codes pulled.

is your car tuned at all? was it an auto before the swap?

from what i've read, the e303 has trouble w/ auto trans.

might also want to try cleaning the MAF, IAC, and TPS--a few easy things you can do that will cost you some carb/electrical cleaner and a few q-tips.

might wanna check for exhaust leaks--my car bucked and backfired due to a huge exhaust leak (mid-pipe bolts weren't tight at all). not sure if it's a good way, but an easy way to find leaks is to pour a little engine oil into a vacuum hose and watch for any smoke *before* the exhaust tips. if you see smoke before the tips, there's your exhaust leak.

sorry, that's as far as my newb knowledge goes. hope it helps, though.

:shrug: as Paul said clean the 3 things he mentioned .....make sure the MAF electronic is at 12 ' oclock.......I also would start looking for any minor vacuum leaks.......a elbow or hose could have broken/split during install......the idle and putting it into gear.........I had trouble and needed a tune..........
but the brakes .........becoming hard.....

go through all the vacuum lines........start there..

Sounds like a vacuum problem when you talk about bad idle and hard brakes. Maybe your intake gasket did not seal at the heads or the upper to the lower. The 'E' Cam is so basic on lift and duration that I have never heard of a problem on a stick or auto.