1995-Ignition switch de-pin

Hello all,

I recently picked up a 95 base V6 mustang. Been sorting it out fairly well on my own, and have run into an issue. I took out the alarm system that some hack, I mean responsible previous owner, put in. They cut a 3-4 in. section of wire out of the ignition switch under the column. My plan is to go to the junkyard and find one that still has the switch, depin the required wire, cutting it off a moderate distance back, then using that to replace the missing section of wire. I am fairly handy with wiring, was just curious if anyone knew the procedure and tooling required to do the depinning.

Thanx in advance.

Vea

• Sponsors (?)

Never tried to de-pin one sorry, it's either going to be easy or impossible, not sure how easy Ford made it. :) But you can get a new pigtail - Motorcraft part WPT-577. Or just pull the pigtail out of the donor car, keeping a good amount of wire as you mention. Seems like splicing in a new section of wire would be easier if they left you anything resembling enough wire to solder-to.

I suppose if I cut out the connector I could work on it "on the bench", which would be easier. Is there a difference in switches between the years? would one off of say a 98 or 99 work on a 95? I have a piece of wire spliced in for now just to keep it running, but it is bothering me and I need to fix it properly.