1995 Mustang Cooling Fan Issue

Joezaque

Jul 27, 2016
So I recently rebuilt my 1995 mustang 5.0l and had not been running the a/c compressor for about a year and a half, so I thought "why not just pull it all out, I didn't use it before." So once I got it running, and drove it around town, I realized that the temperature rose greatly. Thankfully I had a radiator cap with a safety release valve on it because it open up letting ALL of my coolant out to save the motor. After filling it up I let it cool down and cranked it up again, only to find out after letting it idle back to a high temp that the cooling fan will not come on. I recently read posts on here about an a/c switch that controls the high speed/low speed on the fan (I can't remember which right now), but if that is the case, WHICH A/C SWITCH FUNCTIONS THAT PORTION OF THE FAN, AND IS THERE A WAY TO JUMP IT AND/OR PUT A SWITCH IN BETWEEN TO CYCLE IT WHEN IDLING OR DRIVING AT LOW SPEEDS? Please help me correct my mistake.

• Sponsors (?)

First... You didn't "Save the engine" by letting coolant run all over the place.

Next...continuing to jury-rig a solution is only going to make matters worse.

You should begin by pulling codes to see if you get any for "Electric Fan Circuit Failure" codes. There's an individual code for the high speed fan.

An idle test isn't going to tell you much particularly, if there is air in the system.

Some interesting reading:
http://www.carparts.com/classroom/coolingsystem.htm

@Joezaque
Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

It seems that the number of people that should not be allowed to get near a car with any kind of tool is increasing... Is that reality or is it just me?

Reactions: 2 users