1995 Mustang GT Auto To Manual Swap From 99 GT

Justin Fetalvero

Mar 6, 2018
Hey guys,

I couldn't find the answer to this and wondering if you guys could help me out. I might be getting a 1995 Mustang GT and it is an Auto. There is a 1999 Mustang GT 5 Speed that I could get for about $200 bucks. Doesn't start but no transmission issues. Would the parts be compatible to do a swap on the 1995 GT motor to 5 Speed?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Just so that we understand what your expectations are. Are you looking for a "plug and play" swap? If so this is not it. The 1999 OSS style speed sensor will not interchange with the 1995's VSS style speed sensor.

This post also doesn't state WHICH V8 the 1995 has in it (5.0 OHV or 4.6 SOHC)? It matters because the 1999 modular transmission will not bolt up to a 5.0 OHV motor.

Are you prepared for the tuning needed to make the 1995 PCM work without the automatic sensor inputs?

Just wondering. Why not fix the 1999? Electrically and PCM wise the 1999+ is a more reliable car to work on. It's full ODB2 where as the 1995 is not.

Last edited:
Just so that we understand what your expectations are. Are you looking for a "plug and play" swap? If so this is not it. The 1999 OSS style speed sensor will not interchange with the 1995's VSS style speed sensor.

This post also doesn't state WHICH V8 the 1995 has in it (5.0 OHV or 4.6 SOHC)? It matters because the 1999 transmission will not bolt up to a 5.0 OHV motor.

Are you prepared for the tuning needed to make the 1995 PCM work without the automatic sensor inputs?

Just wondering. Why not fix the 1999? Electrically and PCM wise the 1999+ is a more reliable car to work on. It's full ODB2 where as the 1995 is not.

Thanks for the info. I’m new to all this but want a 5 speed. The 95 is a 5.0 and running. The 99 is not running and convertible and kind If messed up.

It seems like it’s more work than I am willing to do.

If I had 2 of the same year cars would it be a direct swap/easier?

Thanks,
Justin

Thanks for the info. I’m new to all this but want a 5 speed. The 95 is a 5.0 and running. The 99 is not running and convertible and kind If messed up.

It seems like it’s more work than I am willing to do.

If I had 2 of the same year cars would it be a direct swap/easier?

Thanks,
Justin
Nothing easy with a swap like that. I also have a auto (02) that I was concidering the same swap. Trans, shifter, Pedal assembly, tune, flywheel, clutch assembly and I think drive shaft is just some the parts I can think of but it will be alot of labor. But yes possible to answer the question...easier with same Gen cars.