1996 351 EFI Roller motor, is it worth it?

rhurley

Jun 14, 2004
Just got a "second chance offer" on a 1996 351 roller motor, complete minus distributor. He will deliver it to my house for free.

Engine has 75k miles and owner states it does not need a rebuild. Came off a truck that was wrecked, but no damnage to the engine.

He wants 700 dollas for it, and includes every accessory except dist. Is this a good deal, or could it be alot of trouble?

Thanks in advance
-andrew

• Sponsors (?)

That's about the going rate in my area. Just be aware that will be a bank fire Speed density system, if you plan on keeping it EFI take a look at the upper, they're verrrrry tall. If you're going to carb it you'll need a different distributer anyways

hell, just pull the intake off and get a Performer RPM and a good 600-750 Holley and replace it. I'd also at least pull the heads, port out the exhaust sides, blend the bowls, then bolt em back on with a set of Cobra 1.7 roller rockers, with the F4TE cam in there, and a better breathing exhaust ( don't forget headers too)you'd have a tire frying torque monster, that'll idle like a kitten.

UPDATE!

thanks for all your suggestions. Im about to purchase, but just recently learned that it ONLY includes the pulleys and brackets (i.e not efi computer, alternator, fuel/oil pumps, etc). does this still sound like a decent price for the roller block?

thanks
-andrew

Yes, that's a fair price. The real bonus here is the roller block. There's not a whole lot of them available. Only produced for 3-4 years. Can't wait for the one in my 95 E150 to go, so I can replace it with a std 351 block and keep the roller block for something special.