What to do with EFI 302?

hvymtl939

Mar 13, 2011
Lawrence, KS
Hey, new member here, just had a few questions. My grandpa had a 1991 F-150 that had a rebuilt EFI 302 with only 9k on it when he wrecked the truck. He gave the truck to me, and my dad and I are trying to find something to do with the motor.

A fox body swap would probably be easiest, but I'm really not a fan of the fox body look. So that leads me to my next question, is it at all possible (or reasonable) to do a 5.0 swap into a 94-95 V6? From what I understand, the ECU and gauges would need to be changed, as well as motor mounts, rear end, and driveshaft, as well as beefing up the front suspension. Also, if I found a 94-04 GT roller, would the 5.0 fit the 4.6 motor mounts, or is this also going to be way more difficult then it's worth? Or should I be a man, just suck it up, and buy a fox body?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

-Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

I did that swap not too long ago, though I had a donor 95 Cobra going into a 94 V6. You are right on most counts there, the 5.0 will drop right into a 94-95 V6. I believe you will have to start replacing chassis harnesses if you use a 96-98 V6 chassis, though I cannot say for sure. You can use a 94-95 roller and it will be a perfect drop-in, as the 94-95 GT's also had 5.0's. 96 and up had 4.6 modular engines, and the 5.0 will not bolt in; you would have to change out the k-member.

The type of 302 you have will really depend on how easy or hard the swap will be. 94-95 5.0's used different front accessories and a different intake than the Fox's. We also have an electric fan instead of a clutch fan. If you have a rebuilt stock motor, and the photos I see online are right, you basically have a Fox 5.0. If you want a stock-looking 94-95 GT engine, you might be better off finding one with a bad engine, and swapping over the accessories to your newer engine.

Mustangs use a t-5 transmission, I don't know what was in the truck. There are different versions of the T-5, used in different makes and models of cars. The 94-95 one has a specific bellhousing and input shaft so the shifter is in the correct place; the Fox's equivalent parts are a bit shorter but work the same.

I don't know if the tranny you have will fit. If it does fit but isn't a t-5, you'll have to find a driveshaft that will fit. Unless you have a high budget or enjoy messing with mismatched parts, I'd highly recommend sticking with OEM 94-95 Mustang parts when possible. Less hassle trying to get everything working together, but that's just my opinion.

Not worth the trouble and money involved. 94-95 gt can be found cheap if you want to work on it that much.

The reason I say that is because the motor you want to put into the car will need work to be even on par with a stock mustang 5.0.. someone correct me if im wrong.

Not worth the trouble and money involved. 94-95 gt can be found cheap if you want to work on it that much.

The reason I say that is because the motor you want to put into the car will need work to be even on par with a stock mustang 5.0.. someone correct me if im wrong.

+1. You're going to end up spending about double what it cost to just buy a 5.0 Mustang. And that's before you factor your time in.

Kurt

Thanks for the advice guys! After doing more research, I've decided it wouldn't be worth the time, money, or effort. However, my Dad is going today to look at a 66 coupe rolling chassis, so this motor still may find a home.

Agreed with the above suggestions. I used to have a beater '89 F150 that had a 302 and it wasn't the HO version that's in the mustangs and I believe had a different firing order or something like that. It should work well in a classic though.