1996 Mustang GT/Cobra clutch gets hard to engage after car warms up

96kbcobra

Sep 18, 2011
Hi I have a 1996 Mustang GT with a 97 cobra engine and tranny and I am having problems engaging the clutch after the car warms up. I just had a stage 2 clutch installed with a new aluminum flywheel as well. TOB was also changed with the clutch. When I got it changed, the car drove great for about 200 miles, and I still havent done any hard shifts/launches oer anything like that. Last night, after the car got warmed up, it became really hard to shift and i had to push the clutch all the way to the floor and still had trouble getting it to go into gear. WHen i tried to push it into gear, the car starts to creep forward even though it isnt in gear. This morning I drove it around again and it was fine till it warmed up again and I had the same symptoms. I also tried adjusting the clutch, and i even put in a new adjustable cable with a metal quadrant adjuster and had no luck. Has anyone had this happen before? I would appreciate any feedback or help from anybody!

• Sponsors (?)

Hi I have a 1996 Mustang GT with a 97 cobra engine and tranny and I am having problems engaging the clutch after the car warms up. I just had a stage 2 clutch installed with a new aluminum flywheel as well. TOB was also changed with the clutch. When I got it changed, the car drove great for about 200 miles, and I still havent done any hard shifts/launches oer anything like that. Last night, after the car got warmed up, it became really hard to shift and i had to push the clutch all the way to the floor and still had trouble getting it to go into gear. WHen i tried to push it into gear, the car starts to creep forward even though it isnt in gear. This morning I drove it around again and it was fine till it warmed up again and I had the same symptoms. I also tried adjusting the clutch, and i even put in a new adjustable cable with a metal quadrant adjuster and had no luck. Has anyone had this happen before? I would appreciate any feedback or help from anybody!

Input shaft bearing, time for a transmission rebuild.

Some cars, the input shaft bearing is acessable without removing the entire guts in the transmission housing. Unfortunately, you car's transmission is not one of them.

1. Your options are do the work your self, but who in the heck has a 3 ton press.

2. Buy a cars transmission off of ebay, at risk of having the same happen again.

3. Rebuild and have a warranty, my cars transmission rebuild with Zoom clutch and new flywheel, was 1,200, give or take. Aamco.

I'm thinking you can climb under neath gain access to the input shaft, wiggle it to see if you have any play in the input shaft, if you do, you know the problem. Chances are if there is play, other bearings and gears have issues.

My .02