1996 mustang GT Nitrous questions

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
Hi I have a 1996 GT with about 123k miles on it. Ive had the car for about 6 years and always wanted it to be faster. For bang for the buck it looks like nitrous is the best way to go. I live close to a track and plan to really only use it there. Right now my car has:

Offroad x pipe with mac cat back exhaust
bbk cai
aftermarket plugs and wires
160° thermostat
King cobra clutch
Steeda short shifter
4.10's
lowered 2 inches
18 inch saleen rims with 285's street tires
I also have a set of bbk pullies I need to install

Im looking into getting the zex wet kit. Is this a decent kit? would I benefit from getting a handheld tuner also? Would this put my car near a 13.5 in the quarter mile?

• Sponsors (?)

The zex kit is a great kit and your car would benifit with the sct tuner nicely...BUT if you use the preloaded tune in the tuner you cannot use nitrous or else you will be buying a new motor...when using n2o you will want to set the tune back to stock...unless you get a nitrous specific tune...

You should easily see 13.5 or lower with nitrous

I kick myself cause I had mt et streets that I sold and nitto 555r's that I sold a whilke back cause I use to live farther from the track:notnice: I also head pi heads and cams that I sold:notnice:

How big of a shot do you want to spray and how often? ZEX is fine, a lot of people use them. I went with a plate-style kit on my car because I didn't want to tap into my intake.

You can run up to a 100 shot pretty safely on a stock fuel pump and injectors assuming they are working properly. That'd probably put you right near 300rwhp and plently to get you below a 13.5 in the 1/4 with traction.

It'd be smart to invest in a handheld tuner and get a nitrous specific tune. However, you "CAN" run a small shot on a factory tune. 75 should would be fine, 100 shot is a little more aggressive but has been done. I used my Diablosport and modified the factory tune to add more fuel and remove 2-3* of WOT timing to be safe. That's on a 125 shot and the car responds stupid well to it. If you decide to use the factory tune, read your plugs several times after you first start spraying!

Also, what kind of plugs are in your car? Honestly the best application for nitrous are cheap copper plugs. For a smaller shot, go 1 step colder. I use Autolite 103's.

I was thinking about doing a 100-125 shot. I will probably have a shop install it just to be safe. I was also looking at the Mac long tube headers but then I would have to change my mid pipe correct?

Total waste of $.

I wouldn't bother with headers at all if you're going with nitrous. I would do headers if you ever did a PI swap or put ported heads/cams on the car. Without that, you're pouring money into a wheezing NPI engine. lol.

If I were to buy a SCT tuner would I be able to re calibrate my speedometer for my 4.10's? I have a speed calibrator but if I could do it with a tuner id rather do that and sell the speed calibrator.

Also how hard is it to install pullies? I have the three piece BBK pullie kit that I want to get installed soon because I plan to go to the track soon and would like to see what my car will do. I'm thinking it will be around a 14.5 or so now?

I have a zex kit and getting ready to instal it.. im running a 98 auto with pi swap, 4.10, lth, cai, tbs (pointless). im planning on doing a 100 shot with stock tune. Hope all goes well

Let me know how it goes. Im still up in the air with everything. All I really know is I want to start going to the track more since I live so close. I havent decided if I should modify my car or sell and buy a cobra or fox body?