1996 Saleen Starting Issues Help Please

psurges1981

Sep 5, 2020
Chicago
Hello everybody. I have a problem with my Saleen that I just bought as a roller from Georgia. Recently I had a 96GT that was just rusted out so I pulled the motor and trans and keep in mind it was automatic. So I sold that 96GT and bought a 96 Saleen Roller. I put my 4.6 in it with a 99 Cobra trans and my original engine harness from my old 96GT. The problem is after the motor and transmission install I go to start it and I turn the key and I get nothing, No crank no start. All the wiring is installed correctly, All the grounds are new and were they should be, Brand new battery, I replaced the ignition switch just for the hell of it. The alternator tested fine when i took it to autozone. Clutch Safety Switch is fine. The issue is when I bought the car they gave me a Transmission harness for a 94-95GT so I plugged that in, My question is will the car still start with the wrong trans harness causing the PATS anti theft preventing me from starting it. I did order the correct harness for it and it should be here soon. It is a T45 out of a 99 cobra.I changed every single fuse and relay and its still doing the same thing, When I turn the key to start it even with the clutch pedal pressed I get absolutly nothing. The Anti Theft light turns off when I turn the key to the on position so I know thats fine. Just trying to get to the bottom of it. I replaced the ground wires that run from the drivers side of the motor and replaced all the battery terminals. Although I have the incorrect Transmission harness I just want to double check if that is the problem causing it not to start.

• Sponsors (?)

My vote. Is that you failed to install the jumper in the neutral safety switch (NSS) into the no longer used in the automatic transmission DTR range transmission C106 connector.

The jumper is between the R/LB and W/PK wire.

You may be getting power at the main starter terminal but I doubt you are getting power at the starter solenoid circuit. But why guess? Test! What happens if you jumped +12 volts to the starter solenoid? Note, make double sure that the transmission is in neutral AND the wheels are blocked.

Or better yet. Put a test light on the starter solenoid. Test light pig tail on ground. Does the test light light when the key is turned to "crank"?

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice I will check and see if im getting power at the solenoid, I know the starter is fine as I was able to get it going jumping the wires. I do have a the correct manual transmission harness coming this week. But I will test the starter and see if its getting power at the solenoid wire and keep you updated. Thank you for your response.