1997 Cobra or 1997 Mustang GT

Lynx131

Mar 9, 2004
Hey, my names Mike im 16 years old. Currently i own a 97 mustang v-6, it's a great car... but just not what a 16 year old driver is looking for. I was curious to get some opinions from people here on what i should get. Im either looking at a 97 GT, or a 97 Cobra. But when i was reading my mustang and fords magazine, it said in there that the cobra is only .05 seconds faster than the GT in the 1/4 mile. I currently am applying for jobs everywhere. And should be able to get a decent price for the v-6 due to the condition it's in. So i was curious what you guys would reccommend. I want the cobra... becuase it's a cobra.. and then i can really show those 5.0's in my auto shop whats up. But then i don't kno if i want to spend the extra money for something that mustang and fords magazine claims is .05 seconds faster than a GT. Any opinions on what i should do?? thnx in advance :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

well it depends on what magazine you were reading. stock for stock a 96-98 cobra will put a whoopin on a 96-98 GT. however, they are only a little faster than current GT's....again stock for stock. keep in mind that the cobra is able to rev higher so they are able to get more hp outta em. also the cobra responds very well to mods. if you can swing the cash for the car and the insurance...go for the cobra :nice:

yea, my 6 doesn't do 2 bad with the tail but yea, still... it's a 6. Anybody have any information about the gas mileage of a 96-98 cobra? Anyone think 5000 would be a good start to get a 97 cobra? And then take a loan out on the rest?

yes thats how it would most likely be, my dad insuring the car and i would just be a driver, since it would be cheaper like that. Thats how we have things now with my v6. Any body out there kno what the gas mileage is for a cobra?

Dude I been driving cobra's for the last 4 years...Im 21 now and all i have to say is get the COBRA. I had a GT before and my new motto is once you go SVT you'll never go GT. Definetly get the insurance in your pops name it was like $3800 for my insurance for a year...compared to like $900 for him w/ me as a driver :nice:

Lynx131 said:
Hey, my names Mike im 16 years old...

16 years old ..enough said. You can curse me for saying this... but I would only recommend the Cobra if you're one of those special 16 year olds who has at least half an understanding of the risks of inexperience and fast cars. ... the statistics will back me up on this. I'm lucky to have survived in my Pinto when I was a teenager :nonono:.

As far as your choices, a stockish 97 GT doesn't compare to a 97 Cobra in performance. The Cobra will also respond better to mods.

Blown00GTAuto said:
Enough said, you can curse me for saying this... but I would only recommend the Cobra if you're one of those special 16 year olds who has at least half an understanding of the risks of inexperience and fast cars. ... the statistics will back me up on this. I'm lucky to have survived in my Pinto when I was a teenager :nonono:.

As far as your choices, a stockish 97 GT doesn't even compare to a 97 Cobra in performance. The Cobra will also respond better to mods.

Well i wouldn't say im bad at controling cars. I did take out a mail box, thats the only thing that has happened. It's actually a pretty funny story, i put it in first and was fishtailing down the block ( in my v-6, it was wet and it had started snowing ) i got about halfway down the block and i stopped, the rpms dropped, and i put her back in drive then i hit a ice patch ( driving normally ) and lost control, i ended up getting it back as i hit the mail box otherwise i would have hit a tree head on.
I guess i can consider myself a ok driver ( for a 16 year old ) i can fish tail in my 6 on dry land and hold it and pull it back around to the other side, in my buddys camaro (305) i can fish tail that like crazy and not spin out. So i guess im a ok driver. Plus my dad has a 74 duster ( his baby ) and he does all that crayz stuff and he said once i get a v-8 he'll teach me how to do everything cuz i told him i want to be able to do that in my 67 stang once we get her restored. So i dunno, i guess im really askin ur guys' opinion here on which would be better for a 16 year old driver? :shrug: The only v-8 i've drove was my buddys 92 camaro, it's fast but not that fast. So yea considering my age, and everything what do u guys thing would be better for me. I really want the cobra so all the guys at school will shut up about their stock 5.0's being so fast. But then theres that thing in the back of my mind that worries me about getting a car that might be to much for me to handle. Anyways, u guys were here once so you'll kno better than i will, what do you guys think?

Lynx131 said:
Well i wouldn't say im bad at controling cars. I did take out a mail box, thats the only thing that has happened. It's actually a pretty funny story, i put it in first and was fishtailing down the block ( in my v-6, it was wet and it had started snowing ) i got about halfway down the block and i stopped, the rpms dropped, and i put her back in drive then i hit a ice patch ( driving normally ) and lost control, i ended up getting it back as i hit the mail box otherwise i would have hit a tree head on.
I guess i can consider myself a ok driver ( for a 16 year old ) i can fish tail in my 6 on dry land and hold it and pull it back around to the other side, in my buddys camaro (305) i can fish tail that like crazy and not spin out. So i guess im a ok driver. Plus my dad has a 74 duster ( his baby ) and he does all that crayz stuff and he said once i get a v-8 he'll teach me how to do everything cuz i told him i want to be able to do that in my 67 stang once we get her restored. So i dunno, i guess im really askin ur guys' opinion here on which would be better for a 16 year old driver? :shrug: The only v-8 i've drove was my buddys 92 camaro, it's fast but not that fast. So yea considering my age, and everything what do u guys thing would be better for me. I really want the cobra so all the guys at school will shut up about their stock 5.0's being so fast. But then theres that thing in the back of my mind that worries me about getting a car that might be to much for me to handle. Anyways, u guys were here once so you'll kno better than i will, what do you guys think?
Well compared to that 305.... the DOHC Cobra would put countless buslengths on it. If you drive her carefully and treat the car with respect and only let her loose when the roads open, then I guess it can be a good car for you. Its a quick car and you just have to be responsible :nice:

thats usually the only time i get really tromp on my 6, occasinally i'll spin the tires, lol that usually requires alittle braking but yea. i usually give it a bit to get me up to 40 on the busy roads, otherwise i never really "get on it". It's not the speed that really gets me about cars, it's the acceleration that throwing your head back, like my saying, It's not how fast you go, but how fast you get there.

You will be paying higher insurance rates payments forever. This is why the ricer imports are so big now.

Roush21 said it cost like 3800.00 a year insurance instead of 900.00? And Good luck trying to get it on your old mans insurance. Most insurance Co.'s won't do this especially for a Cobra! I am 47 a Dad and no way my kid gets this car put on my insurance.

Save the 2900.00 (3800.00 - 900.00) and -
Get a Procharger or Turbocharger for like 2500.00 and swap in an 8.8 rear, some 4.10's, a HI-PO Clutch and you probably could hang with the 97 Cobra. Then the next year of saving 2900.00 get yourself some ground F/X and a Huge Wing. NO! NO! Just kidding! However Some 18's and the Saleen stuff looks good on a Stang or do a full fledge suspension upgrade and you will have one great car. I guarantee you will be able to smoke most any ricer you come up against.

Why give the insurance company your Mod Money?

based on what i said above, does anyone here think the cobra would have to much kick for me. I talked to my uncle and he said that it most likely wouldn't be to much for me. But i dunno... any opinions?