1997 GT Horsepower Increase

Jono14

Feb 23, 2019
I own a stock 1997 Ford Mustang GT. I love it a lot but the stock horsepower isn't giving me as much enjoyment as when I drive my friends 2015 GT. I was wondering what is the best way to get it to 300 or 400 horsepower. I have a decent budget as I got the car for free from a friend.

• Sponsors (?)

Naturally aspirated you’ll need upgrades to your intake, exhaust, heads, and cams (lots of work).

I’d skip all that. There are three easier options: nitrous, supercharger, or turbocharger. Any of those three would put you in your desired range.

Don't bother with all the forced induction. Get the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 185's as they correct the valve angle issue from the stock heads. You can use stage 3 Comp Cams (XE270AH) or similar as well as the aluminum intake manifold that you can find for the engine (professional products I believe, although they have so-so reviews I have no issues with mine). Finally, you can get a set of stainless steel no name headers off ebay (again people bash on them but mine came beautifully TIG welded and have no issues after 40,000 miles besides the obvious discoloration but who cares). As I have programmed it into my dynosim6, it can get you in the ballpark of 360 HP and around the same torque. It'll be a pretty ballsy engine too because it has a very wide HP curve (area under the curve is what really makes a car fast).

Reactions: 1 users