1997 running hot

Hey everyone,

Apologies for my first post already being a question, but this drives me crazy and I have limited time to fix it.
I have a 1997 V6 that will run a little hot (still in the normal range), but about 217 degrees, so a good amount over the middle. This only happens with city/stop&go driving, no issues on the highway.

From previous posts, I could figure out that my fan is most likely the issue. It doesn't kick on when I turn the AC on, but it turns on later once my engine reaches about 210 degrees.
I have replaced the fan itself so far and the CCRM. However, the CCRM I got is from an 01. It came to my mind today, that it might not be compatible with my car, even if it fits perfectly. Does anyone know more about this?

That could also be the reason why my AC is not working (already re-charged it, still nothing).

Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

I did some playing around, so hopefully, this information will help.
First of all, the two CCRMs have different part numbers, here is what happens with the 01 CCRM:

Fan comes on once engine reaches about 210, so I think that the low speed fan doesn't work.
When I unplug the ECT sensor, fan kicks on at any time.

With the 1997 CCRM:
Fan does not come on at all, not even with hot engine, but again, once I unplug the ECT it kicks on.

Wouldn't the fan running with the ECT unplugged rule out a bad CCRM?
Also, I have replaced the ECT already, so that can't be the issue.