1997 v6 rear end swap

88LXSleeper

Jan 6, 2016
Inherited a 1997 v6 mustang, wanting to use as part time road course track car. Don't want to spend much on it, thinking of swapping rear end to an 8.8. What junkyard cars would have one that would work without alterations, Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Just to expand further...94-98 Mustang 8.8. If you got a 94-95 rear you would just discard the brake lines mounted to the axle. The 99-04 rears are a little different

If you don't mind a little work, the 86-93 fox body rears can be made to work. You'd just need to swap your brakes and axle shafts over.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to expand further...94-98 Mustang 8.8. If you got a 94-95 rear you would just discard the brake lines mounted to the axle. The 99-04 rears are a little different

If you don't mind a little work, the 86-93 fox body rears can be made to work. You'd just need to swap your brakes and axle shafts over.
So my 7.5 axles and brake set up will work on Fox rear end ? That will help in my search, local pull a part is full of v6 stangs not many v8. Would tear it apart anyways to change rear gear, probably 4.10 for road course use.

So my 7.5 axles and brake set up will work on Fox rear end ? That will help in my search, local pull a part is full of v6 stangs not many v8. Would tear it apart anyways to change rear gear, probably 4.10 for road course use.

Yes. the axle shafts and brake parts are the same between the Gt and V6. Just the housing is different (7.5" vs 8.8"). Just pull the axles out, remove all the brake parts and swap it onto a nice 86-93 fox housing and you pretty much have a 94-98 8.8 rear.

Will just need to take care of the brake lines after that