1998 Ford Mustang Gt Error Code P0500

matalaimo101

Jul 13, 2012
Recently I have noticed my speedometer has not been working right. While driving it will go to the speed of zero then bounce back to the accurate speed. Later I noticed a new problem the O/D OFF light flashes every once in a while I also can feel the tranny down shifting. When the O/D OFF light appeared the check engine light also appeared. Right away I went to autozone and they ran a diagnostic which came up code p0500 (speed sensor) So I bought the new speed sensor and installed it, however now the speedometer does not work at all and the O/D light is still blinking I disconnected the battery causeing the check engine light to shut off but i am still having all the same issues.... Please help...also is the car safe to drive i have a 30 mile commute to work there and back a total of 60 miles will i be able to drive it to work tommorow before fixing the problem?

Also I know the new speed sensor was installed correctly so that cant be the issue...

• Sponsors (?)

A couple of things.

Have the alternator checked for excessive AC ripple (bad diode) and correct output.

Did you check the worm gear on the tail shaft while the VSS was out? The the gear has been damaged, then the VSS sensor will not turn.

If the VSS sensor is generating a signal, then the problem is likely in the wiring. Any recent exhaust mods? Any evidence of rodent or water damage?

Do you have a Ford service manual and wiring diagrams? If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

>>
P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Malfunction

• Open in VSS+/VSS- harness circuit.
  • Open in TCSS signal or TCSS signal return harness circuit.
  • Short to GND in VSS harness circuit.
  • Short to GND in TCSS harness circuit.
  • Short to PWR in VSS harness circuit.
  • Short to PWR in TCSS harness circuit.
  • Open or short in the vehicle speed circuit(s) (VSC) between the PCM and appropriate control module.
  • Damaged VSS or TCSS.
  • Damaged wheel speed sensors.
  • Damaged wheel speed sensor harness circuits.
  • Damage in module(s) connected to VSC/VSS circuit.
  • Damage drive mechanism for VSS or TCSS