1998 GT to 2000 Cobra Swap

NPIGT

Nov 29, 2004
Ok guys and gals. I really want to up the horsepower and torque on my 98 GT. I was considering for a long time doing the PI swap with VT cams and comp springs. But I just didnt feel that I would recieve the power that I want with those. So I considered port and polishing the stock heads and installing VT stage 2 cams with comp springs and a Vortech Blower. But after considering that I thought that once I get larger injectors, headers, midpipe, fuel pump etc. it will be just to much. So I have recently thought about installing http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6688 the 2000 cobra motor. It comes with the eec-v computer and wiring. So my question is how difficult would it be to swap a 4V 99+ engine into a 2V 98. What will all be needed in addition to what is included in the link. Any help would be very much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I would like to know as well. I was actually looking at that same exact web site and engine tonight. I want to swap that 00 cobra engine into my 96 GT, but didn't know what all else had to go into it as well.

productj1 said:
Get the 5.0 cammer engine and you would be happy. But its a lot of money.
No, you wouldnt be happy.

1. Costs WAY too much
2. Only makes a measily 400hp and 365ftlbs at the flywheel
3. Not emissions legal

If you want to do a crate engine swap fairly cheap, go with one of those crate motors for around $5K (03 mach 1/99 cobra/aviator motor)