1998 GT What engine should i put in?

rgiglio91

Apr 29, 2012
Hi,
Im new to this forum and have a 1998 Ford mustang GT Convertible 5spd with about 80k on it. I run royal purple in Diff, Trans, and Oil. While this engine gets awesome fuel mileage on the highway and sounds fantastic with a nice pair of flow masters, I'm looking for more power, and an engine that doesnt smoke blue every once in a while (belived to be a valve seal issue). Any suggestions on what i should put in for some good power and decent fuel mileage? And what would i need to do it? Thanks for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd go buy an MMR 600 shortblock, install a pair of PI heads, and run some boost. If that is outside your budget, then I'd try and find a used vortech kit for $2500 and a pair of PI heads. PI heads + NPI shortblock + vortech = lots of fun :D

http://www.vincelewis.net/bigengine.html

engine-flatbed.jpg

Low mileage 2-valve PI motor from an 01+ Crown Vic/Town Car/Grand Marquis can be had for <$750. I got mine with 30k on it for $600. Will net a nice 45 hp increase.

Another good cheap option is a 2-valve from an 02-05 Explorer. Same as the PI motor listed above, but with an aluminum block (~100 pounds lighter).