1998 V6 swap to 1999 cobra

Mike412n

Oct 4, 2018
Pennsylvania
I currently own a 1998 v6 with 59k miles on it, I was thinking about doing an engine swap and I came across a wrecked 1999 cobra with the drivetrain comepletly fine. If I were to buy it I would put the engine transmission and rear end in my v6, just looking for comments and help, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The 1996-1998 Mustang is a very different car ELECTRICALLY than a 1999-2004 model year. Therefore EXPECT problems with swapping wholesale swapping wiring harnesses across the major model year boundary.

Now here's a recent thread that would have all of us to believe that it's easy to do this swap.

3.8l V6 To 4.6l V8+5spd Swap Completed
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/3-8l-v6-to-4-6l-v8-5spd-swap-completed.887223/

However if one is careful about reading the details of this particular swap please note that both cars are the same model year. This drastically improves the odds of success.

Over the years I have helped people that have attempted the V6 to V8 swap. Where I usually get involved is after the the swap is done and:
  • The AC doesn't work
  • The cooling fan doesn't work on both speeds.
The conversation usually starts out with pointing out the reason for the problem is rooted in the specific Mustang model year differences between the V6 and V8 versions. Further there are differences across the model years.

The best advice I can give you:
  • Have both cars as close as possible to the same model year.
  • Understand there are very slight differences be prepared that maybe some trouble shooting may be necessary. So if you are the type of person that is terrible with electric then this swap may not be for you.