1st 5.0

So I made a decision on a 1988 5.0. I am going to have to have the transmission rebuilt as it seems like it might have lock up from what I have read. Fluid is full but it feels like its shifting from 1st to 2nd and doesnt shift again until after the RPMS shoot up. I,m loosing power at about 40 MPH and shooting RPMS super high but will eventually level out and continue accelerating. I wanted a "project" well I guess I got it!! I know very little about cars so all tips and pointers would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 134
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Sponsors (?)

AOD trans in stock form are crap. Your description is a little vague. Does the rpm "shoot up" from a stand still? If so it might have a High stall speed torque converter. Your car looks mostly stock so i doubt that but it could be that or the trans is slipping. When you pull the trans dipstick does the fluid smell burnt? Your cable could be buggered also.

Here's the first 3 things you should do
1 - Get trans looked at by a professional (and rebuilt if need be)
2 - Convert to mass air
3 - throw some 4.10's in that b*tch to make it fun

AOD trans in stock form are crap. Your description is a little vague. Does the rpm "shoot up" from a stand still? If so it might have a High stall speed torque converter. Your car looks mostly stock so i doubt that but it could be that or the trans is slipping. When you pull the trans dipstick does the fluid smell burnt? Your cable could be buggered also.
From 0-40 no issue at 40mph rpms shoot up.

I am thinking of going with a 5spd swap if it does in fact need to be replaced or rebuilt.

If you get the auto trans rebuilt and you also have other mods in mind like camshaft, consider getting a higher stall converter for the trans. It will get you moving out of the hole quicker, so long as you can prevent the wheels from spinning.

Reactions: 1 user
I say do the 5speed swap. The car is so much more fun to drive and you get the most out if the car. I've done a 5 speed swap with a friend and it's a lot of work. It is so worth it!!!