1st and 3rd gear issues

joem1cha3l

Sep 19, 2005
when i let off the clutch the gears start to grind and kick it back into neutral...i have to start in 2nd gear. The tranny is brand new t-5 world class with less then 1000 miles on it...any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

the only thing i can think of would be shifter stops not adjusted properly and the shifter isnt goint in all the way. if its a stock shifter than make sure the shifter is bolted down properly to the tranny

thanks guys....it is an aftermarket shifter and the ball on the end of the throw shifter didnt seem to go completely in, maybe about 1/2 or 3/4 and i havent had a problem since i put it in a few months ago, but could it possibly have wiggles out after a while?

is the positive stop the peice that the shifter hits when i push it up t first gear, and third because i loosened it a bit( brought it out) and now i have my gears back...was that my problem the whole time? and if so, why didnt i have that issue in fifth.

Yes, most likely that was the problem the entire time. To properly adjust the stops, put the shifter into 1st gear, pushing forward with your hand on the shifter, run the bolt in until it touches the shifter, then back it out 1/4 turn and tighten down the nut and then do the same in 3rd.