Drivetrain 1st Gear Issues With 410 gearing

BLACKFOX1990

Sep 1, 2021
Canada
Hey All,

New member and recent just picked up my first fox.
The car has 410 gears from a previous owner and first gear is giving me a bit of an issue.

From a stop the car almost feels like its just revving out rather than sending power to the wheels, I barely even get moving before I have to change to second. I understand the gearing is super short but even if you floor it in first it basically just goes straight to redline, I cant even break the wheels loose in first because it just goes straight to redline and from other fox experience I know first should have a tone more torque. second is fine and it breaks the tires loose at half throttle, its short but doesn't just go straight to redline like 1st.

any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

4.10 plus a 3.35 1st gear is going to be short. If you aren't spinning the tires you are hitting redline in no time.

SHift into 4th at 20MPH and floor it. Does the engine lug and slowly struggle to climb? If so, your clutch is not slipping

Reactions: 1 users
With my LX and 3.73’s I’ll usually go 1/2 throttle in first for a short bit to get moving then go full throttle on the shift to second. If the tires are warm enough, it barely holds traction.

My 96 Corvette with less power and automatic transmission will beat the Mustang because, most of the time it doesn’t have traction problems.

They just aren't a good gear for a manual trans and a 3.35 first gear.
If the clutch isn't slipping, you would most likely benefit from a 3.55 gear swap.
Or a tremec with a 2.87 first gear.
Could your rear possibly need work? Spinning one wheel with regular street tires and those gears could very well feel like nothing is happening at all.

Reactions: 1 user