2.35 60 foots with slicks.

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
So I tried many things to get a good launch but I think it really boils down to crappy upper/lowers and no traction. Even a bad launch couldnt explain the poor 60 foots. Besides I was peeling out in 1st,2nd and sometimes 3rd. The backend bounces slowly up and down when Im in the burn out box and it doesnt create much smoke. These signs tell me the suspension and the tires just arent hooking at all. Current combo is BBK upper and lowers, stock upper bushings, 26X8.5 slicks. I know I need some 10 inchers but I didnt have the money for rims. I guess I should get some adjustable control arms now and 10 inch slicks. How much difference could that make. I want to keep the car streetable and dont want to go all drag.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, I got 2.325 60's on lowering springs and stock susp. That was the best I did, spinning badly in first, but not 2nd. What springs are you running? Sounds like you have some wheel hop. What kind of power are you putting down? Its bad that you cant hook with slicks. I cant see how a bigger one will help, guys do better on street tires. Thats what I am running. I am hoping for some better times after my suspension work, find out Wed. night if it doesnt rain. Post more details, how are you launching?

My sig says it, but I'm making 516 at the wheels. I'm sure stock guys do have better 60's but they arent managing this kinda power. MY old combo would do 1.6-1.8 60s. The only good thing is my speed. I'm hitting 88 mph in the 1/8th which isnt bad but would be better if I wasnt shredding the tires.

I'm running 26-8.5s and I'm in 4th in the 1/8th. I'm thinking of switching to 28-10s. This will get the tire taller and wider for less rpms and better traction. Has anyone run this size with no problem, and if so what rims and backspacing? Thanks.

you should still be able to 60' better than that, just dont give it full throttle. I know, sounds easier than it is, Have you launched on slicks before? I used to run drag radials, but wasnt completely sure how to launch in em. The best i did with drag radials was like a 2.22 and use to run high 2.2's low 2.3's. since then ive switched to street tires (never had ran street tires at the track) and have cut 60's to as low as 2.131 and a couple other 2.1's, and this is with the suspesion pretty much shot. my lower tq boxes are ripping and one of my uppers is basically completely broken to where only one arm is held to the body. That and all the bushings are toast too. With these "mods" to my rear end (LOL) sits like 1-1.5 inches to the right. Not optimal performance by the rear end by any means, so you should still be able to run respectable 60 foots.

dont worry, all this stuff is getting fixed within a week or two.

First off, 2.10 60s are still really bad. I dont think anything over 1.8 is respectable. Secondly the fact that the car doesnt make huge smoke clouds and bounces slowly up and down means that its not planting. MY burnouts are around the same time as everyone else but no smoke. Also, I can easily cook these things with no water and barely any brakes. Lastly, its peeling out in 2 gears. Not only are the times crappy but its unsafe. You shouldnt have to throttle it out of the hole with slicks. IF I have to do that then something is wrong.

Hey SmockDoiley, I'm running 28x10.5" slicks and I and using 15x8.5" wheels. My car will still fry in first if I launch it hard, but it hooks in second. That's with a moderate 5-10 second burnout. I'm thinking that you most definitely need a bigger tire with your hp level. And it will also help with your gearing. BTW, what gears are you running? I would invest in some adjustable lower control arms while your at it.(steeda makes a nice set) Even with a bigger tire, unless your using a strictly drag slick and not a street slick, your still gonna have to be easy on the launch to get a good low 60ft time. I say get you some tires and some control arms and then go back and practice on the launch a bunch of times until you get your tire spin to a minimum. It's still okay to spin some on the launch, the key is to be able to control the tire spin and use it to your advantage in the search for traction. You might wanna try to launch at a low rpm and then gradually increase your rpm each pass to see what the breaking point on the tires are. Good luck and keep us posted.

I was gonna suggest the same thing - with that much torque/power - taller and wider slick.

However, Smock - keep in mind - if you get that thing to hook, it's just a matter of time before other stuff starts to break with that much juice. The rear end, twisting axles, upper control arm mounts/chassis -- and when all that is strong enough - well that's when you have to start worrying about splitting that stock block down the middle. So I don't know that I'd be in a big hurry to get too much of a hook. In any event with that much torque, I suspect it's gonna take a different configuration completely in the back to put the power to work for serious. You need different set up/geometry to manage weight transfer so you plant the rear end - long torque arm set up or a properly set up 4 link, reinforced chassis and panhard rod.

Unless you're willing to start down the dark path of changing out a bunch of stuff in the quest for traction, I'd suggest continued work on launch technique. If you're spinning as much as you say (no doubt that you are) you need to get out of it more. Go slow to go fast. I believe I'd short shift it and get that thing into 3rd about as quick as I could to let all that torque motor me down the track.

Heres the thing, I launch at idle and give it half gas and shift at 4500. If thats not gay driving I dont know what is. What kind of backspacing are those rims you are using? Theres a guy with a juiced 408 that is ripping 1.5 60 foots. If he can do it I can. He has adjustables and 10 inch tires. Also, my gears are only 3.55s. Who thought 625 at the fly would be so hard to handle, lol!!

I am getting 1.90 sixty foots with boxed stock lower arms, stock, rusted to pieces upper arms, all stock 1980 rubber bushings, and 15 year old Lakewood slapper bars. On a 7.5 in axle with just Drag Radials.

You may want to try things like lower tire pressure, or I would suggest simply putting poly bushings in your stock arms if you want to improve it for cheap. My other car had poly bushings and did not wheelhop like this one did. It would launch ok with just the stock rear suspension, although it was limited to 2.2 sixty foots, because of the engine and lower stall converter.

Sorry man I have slicks, BBK control arms, auburn locker, subframe connectors and lowering springs. I dont think tire pressure will make up .7 seconds. And I tried pressures from 18 psi to 12 psi. And it just got worse and more unstable. I'm pretty sure at this point I need taller tires to stay out of 4th, and wider tires to get more grip. I've heard a 10 inch with 6.5 backspacing will work, anybody else?