2.3l HP squeeze

I wish I had more time....

I have both a 5.0 and a Turbo Coupe donor sitting in my back yard.... 82 5.0 is next project after the Chevelle floors, then the Capri update is due.

So far my effing house had taken all of the non rainy days since I retired....

Hi there! I read earlier in the thread about your T5 swap which sounded really intriguing. Are we both referring to the T5 also used in the Volvo??
If so I'd love to hear more if you documented any of the process or would have any tips / have on hand parts / equipment for someone doing a T5 swap!

Cheers :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

I know this thread is a year old but it is still relevant. If you want to see the baddest lima 4 banger in the land google Fred House and his T-bird. Best run in the 1/4 (so far) has been 7.06@191. Full blown racecar.
My turbocoupe is nowhere near that quick but has been a best of 9.58. It averages 9.60-9.70's@140 at 3200lbs race weight. My bird is also street legal so I take it out on nice days when I can.
My factory block (hardblocked to the waterpump) made many 9 sec passes but the stock crank finally broke back in 2019 and took the block with it.
I have since upgraded to a svo motorsport tall deck block with esslinger svo head. It is a monster but it is really putting my poor C4 trans to the test. Trans is out getting new clutches as we speak. Here is the new engine before I dropped it in the car.

Attachments

• 20200325_180116.jpg
    20200325_180116.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Rods/pistons w/rings were about $1k. Header was $800. Ported intake setup was $450. The big $ item for making power on these engines was the head. Boport stage 3 ported aluminum dport with solid roller essy turbo cam was about $3500. Turbo was a Precision 6466 that was $1500. Never dynoed but figuring weight/trap speed it should have been in the 600rwhp range.

So you're gonna make me do math :doh:
Let's see mumblemumble...carrytheone...mumblemumble.....decimalpoint......nothatsnotright....movethedecimalpoint.......mumble
So around $7200 plus and go 9's?? That sounds like fun,
got any wheelie picss? Oh, wait.... You're that new guy with the bird. Glad to know that you're finding your way around :nice:
I still wanna see wheelie pics

I have quite a few videos on my YT channel where you can see the progression of the car over the years. User name is Turbod408. I made the name when I was going to build a sbf turbo but the 4cyl just kept going quicker with every mod so I stuck with it.

I run a megasquirt ms2xtra. When first starting you enter your engine parameters (cubic inches, inj size, etc.) It will create a rough base tune. You then do manual adjusting to get the car running fairly decent and then turn on the ve live tuner with afr targets of your choice and it will smooth the driveability tune right up.
Boost tuning is done in baby steps. You can use the datalogger but it is faster if you have a buddy working the laptop in the passenger seat. Run 2-3 psi, see what the afr/timing is, adjust, run a little more boost, rinse and repeat.
At the track I datalog every run and go over it in the pits. Mostly just make small corrections here or there.
My MS is over 12yrs old and the ign timing control quit working so now I use a MSD 6AL2 programmable box with map sensor to control timing and the MS controls fueling. Works just fine.