2.7l Ecoboost Stang?

• Sponsors (?)

That would work too but isn't it the engine out of the Edge or F-150? I thought of the 2.7 because it is in the Fusion Sport now and a good upgrade in horsepower and similar mileage for the 2.3/3.7. We'll have to wait and see how this deletion of the v-6 from the Stang shakes out. In any case, we don't need a $30,000+ base car.

Shoulda been the V6 engine of choice from the getgo. What a solid platform. Too bad they went another direction with the 2.3L.

Don't get me wrong, I love that coyote v8, and props to the 2.3. I just always liked that raspy, screamin sound from a potent V6. Especially in a Pony Car.

And no, I aint no tuner geek. I've owned Chevy Rat power and a built 460 in a Ford F250.

But then again, there aint no accountin fer taste! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Easiest would probably be the same 2.7L out of the F150 since they already have a RWD version and trans existing. Would just need to adapt a manual to it.

I don't see them doing this though. They need to meet CAFE numbers, and sticking with the 2.3L helps them do this while appeasing enough buyers who just want the look of the Mustang, and don't care about HP.

Those who care about HP are the minority. Ford won't dare top the 5.0 engine in the Mustang, so whatever they do will have to fall in between the 2.3L and 5.0. So no 400HP/400TQ 3.0TT anytime soon.

They need to do something about exhaust though. Their ecoboost engines sounds like poop, and even the 3.5L leaves much to be desired. I've heard some exhaust setups on SHO's and just not a fan. The 3.5L in my Infiniti sounded like pure joy when it revved.

This sort of topic came up years ago when the 85.5 SVO was rated at 205HP and the V8 that year was 210HP. It's been said over and over than Ford's stance was "thou shalt not top the 5.0 V8" and as a result, nothing has since.

A 3.5TT in a stang would be awesome...but take sales away from the 5.0. If you start cannibalizing your own model lineup, you play a dangerous game. Most people who want a 5.0 go out and buy one. Now if you threw a 3.5L TT in the mix, people need to stop and think. I think at that point, you may see the end of the V8 in a Mustang for good.

Personally I wouldn't care. Why not make more power and get better economy? It just makes sense to me.

The 5.0 is great but why are we limited to that? For a namesake? Gtfo if they really gave a hoot we would have a 6.x option by now. Imagine the potential of the coyote with more cid.....

With the competition running engines around 6L, this sounds like a good move. I don't think the Stang can be reduced in weight much more so we have to go to more cid. This engine combination would slot in above the current 5L and below the Shelby/Roush offerings in price I suspect. $45000 maybe?

Noodling this thing out, the current 2.3l is 310h.p, the 2.7l tt is 325 h.p. and the 5.0L at 435h.p. Increasing the pressure on the 2.7L to make around 365 h.p. would be a logical progression in power and not threated the 5.0L position in the cars history. Forget about the 3.5L TT monster for now.

I don't see Ford putting the 2.7 in a stang. HP sells but torque gets the car moving, and that's what you need to get off the line. While the current 5.0 is 435 hp it's only 400 tq, the 2.7 in the fusion sport is 325 hp and 380 tq, too close to what the 5.0 puts out and it will step on too many toes so to speak. Oh and the 3.5 eco is out of the question, the first gen truck version put out 365 hp and 420 tq and the second gen in the 17 F150's puts out 375 hp and 450 tq

You are correct. But I should clarify, there is a special High Output version of the second generation 3.5 ecoboost that puts out 450 hp and it's only used in the raptor. The standard F150 gets the meager 375 hp 3.5 eco. Also the new Ford GT supercar gets a 600 hp version

right now, the next new car in probably a year for me, maybe the Kia Stinger. Ford's not making good choices for the Stang in the engine area.
I mean no disrespect, but you are comparing an American Pony car to a 4 door high performance sedan. Apples and oranges in my opinion. Test drive both. I bet you find 2 different experiences. Just depends on which you prefer,

I personally think Mustang should've stayed away from an I4, you get good power with the turbo.. more than the standard V6, but if they were going to turbo anything it should've been a V6 or maybe V8 to contend with the Hellcat (Demon) or higher powered Camaro. I guess Camaro followed suite and did an I4 too, but I4 and pony car just doesn't sound good in the same sentence Why not an I3? LOL!!

I had a 2011 Fusion Sport before the Mustang and I REALLY liked that car. Then along came the 2010 Pontiac G8 and brother that was a nice car. If GM had taken care of business with their recall programs, I'd probably still be driving it. The new Fusion Sport wasn't around at the time G.M. got my last straw and I decided to unload the G8.Hence the Mustang. Looking hard at the new Fusion Sport and monitoring the Fusion Sport forum makes me believe Ford is not keeping up with the competition so the Stinger will get a serious checkout next year. I'd rather stick with Ford but the decision makers need to pay attention to the competition and their customers.