Engine 2.8 Engine Differences

1stevil1

Jul 18, 2019
Mississippi
Hi all, new here and have a couple questions about the 2.8 V6.

Is there a difference between the 74 and 75 -78? The limited information I've been able to find suggests there is. If there is a difference, how do I tell what year I have?

The engine is not in a Mustang, but rather a 63 Falcon and I have no idea what year the donor car was.

Any and all help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

As I stated in another post, I am not an expert on the Cologne V6 by any stretch of the imagination. A quick Google search yielded this webpage that says between the 74 and the 75 and later engines, there is a heat riser in the heads of the later models. Assuming that that is the only real difference, check the casting numbers of the head. That should tell you what year the latest revision was to that head and most likely what series that you're running. If I had to guess, it's probably a 75-78 engine since there are most likely more of them running around given there was a 3 year production run vs a one year.....

The earlier models also had points distributors, after about 76 I believe, they were duraspark. The doesn't tell you which block you have, but might give you a hint on the donor car. If you have an ignition module, then the donor might have been later-model. The 2.8 was also in the 79, and used in the Aerostar and Bronco II well into the mid-1980's.

Reactions: 1 user