2 Problems please help!!!

95.0Stang

Feb 20, 2003
Kansas
Problem #1
The low coolant light STAYS on...even after I put antifreeze in the car. nothing leaks...until I start the car and then you can see it on the ground. Last time something similar to this happened my water pump went out. What do you guys think is going on.

Problem #2
Now that it is freezing everynight when I start the car and after it warms up I put the car in reverse to back out of the drive way. At this point it feels like the brakes are frozen to the rotors until after a second or two they break free. When it was warm out it never did this, how can I fix it?

Thanks for the help guys!!!

• Sponsors (?)

First, you must determine where the leak is coming from EXACTLY. It could be something as simple as a leaky thermostat gasket, or it could be a blown head gasket. You did have enough coolant mixed with the water to prevent it from freezing correct? Did you check it before the cold whether hit to see what temp it was good to? If not, you may have loosened or even popped a freeze plug.

Second, do you leave your emergency brake on over night, that can cause it as the cable can freeze. Also, I imiagine they salt the roads out there too... this stuff is horrible on rotors and what not and they can rust very quickly and will give you the same feeling as your describing until the turn for a little while.

Forgot to add... there's no sense in checking the coolant temps now if you have been adding staright coolant to it as it will have changed whatever freeze point the coolant had before you had this problem... well, check them anyway but just make sure they are still good to below zero.

It is all good with the coolant, I use that ready mix stuff. As far as the head gasket...I seriously doubt it because there is ZERO oil mixed in there at all, and if it was the head gasket oil would be mixed in with it.

My atifreeze has been good to -30* since I bought the car just under a month ago.

if it was the head gasket oil would be mixed in with it

That's not true at all. You will not have oil mixed with the coolant on every head gasket failure, it can happen but that's no the only way it does so. They can "pop" from the water passage out to the side of the block... out comes pure coolant. My mom has a 3.8L cougar and that motor is notorious for this... we've changed the head gaskets twice on that thing.

I just replaced my spark plugs and wires, and noticed no head gasket leaks at all. This is the main reason I do NOT think it is the head gaskets. What do you think about the possibility of a failed water pump...or failING water pump. For some reason it is the main thing going through my mind besides the thermostat.

Doesn't Edelbrock make a high flow water pump? what do they sell for?

Not sure if it will work for you or not, but check for a rust stain on the block just to the side of the water pump, in the area of the low oil sensor. I actually had a leak that was caused my my lower intake bolts needing to be re-torqued (thanks to one of our fellow stangnet people helping me out.) That seems to have taken care of the problem for me.

If you have the original stock radiator, look where the core meets the end tanks. Our rides are notorious for developing leaks at this seal. If that's it, I would just keep adding the 50/50 till the weather warms up enough to change the rad. Shouldn't hurt anything unless it's REALLY bad. Also, check the water pump as mentioned. You will see a "weep hole" in between 2 of the cast ribs along the nose of the pump. This allows coolant to seep out as the bearings/seals wear indicating the end of the pump life before the thing fails completely. If you have no oil in a/f, no leaks along the block, and no thick white steamy exhaust (steam that smells like a/f), I doubt it's the head gasket. Good luck.