2000 Gt Engine Noise!

BryanNux

May 15, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/8JwaFfPggiA

Anyone have a experience with this sound or something similar? Pulled off one coil pack connector at a time. Didn't hear any difference in noise or frequency. It's more noticeable when warm at idle or light throttle. Goes away with medium to WOT.
When given throttle the noise comes back when quickly letting off.
Not sure if related but car idles low when put in gear and hesitates when given heavy throttle. I noticed when I unplugged cyl 1 coil pack, there was no difference in rpm while running. May have a bad coil pack not positive yet though. Going to do compression check and hook up oil pressure gauge this weekend.
Car is 4.6, 45,000 miles, automatic. Only mod is CAI.

• Sponsors (?)

I've tried putting a stethoscope on the front cover and pretty much everywhere. Only place I can hear it is near cyl 1 on the cylinder head. Nothing from the valve covers.

+1 on above. Spark plug blow out is a REAL problem on the 4.6's. In many cases the spark plugs blow out from being under or over torqued. Check all spark plugs and torque to the factory recommended torque.

OBTW, it's a lot easier to catch a loose spark plug before it actually blows out. Real PIA to perform thread repair.

Do you want an easy test to determine if there's a likely timing chain problem? Get yourself an oil filter cutter. Drain the oil into a CLEAN pan. Use the oil filter cutter to cut the top off of the oil filter.

IF there's a problem with the timing chains it will show up as metal debris in the oil filter from the timing chain rubbing the inside of the front timing cover.

After my experience replacing a failed motor from worn timing chains I always inspect the oil filter as part of regular oil changes. This alerted us to a problem in my Son's F150 before there was any serious damage done. Saved the motor.