2000 Mustang V6 Bad Shake

M3g4d3th

Jul 17, 2017
I need some help figuring out what's wrong with my mustang. I just got it about 2 months ago and it drove fine when I got it. Recently though almost every time I start in first or reverse (no other gears), regardless of the amount of gas I give it, it still shakes. It feels like it isn't getting enough power and makes the transmission shake, I'm just assuming it's the transmission. I just replaced the spark plugs about a week ago and the car has 218k miles
Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet.

I'll move your thread over to the '96-'04 tech subforum. The guys there will help you out.

Include any information on modifications you may have done as well.

Is it through every gear? Or only limited to 1st and Reverse? If you are cruising at 1500 rpm in another gear, does it still shake?

The shake only happens in first or reverse, right as I start to move. I've started in second and it doesn't make the shake. Shifting into second, third, fourth, fifth all feel fine and no shaking occurs if I'm just cruising in any of those, litteraly only first and reverse right when the car starts moving from a stop

I've seen a lot of reports of this being caused by driveline issues, not transmission issues. Check the pinion angle and all rubber in the rear axle and driveshaft areas up to the transmission. Something may be out of alignment or too worn.

Driveline looks to be in pretty good shape, I don't see anything too worn out or anything that looks bad, I think what you said about the injectors could possibly be my issue, how do I remove the fuel rail to check the injectors?

If an injector problem is suspected consider an injector cleaning/flow test service such as InjectorRX.com. Once cleaned and tested they are as good as new. Much cheaper than new.

What have you done to rule out simple clutch "chatter" from a wearing clutch? If you use higher RPM's and slip the clutch more does it get better?