2000 v6 - grinding noise

Cj13531

Jul 1, 2018
Florida
I’m hoping someone here can help me out. I have a 2000 V6 (manual) and when I’m driving and let off the gas it makes a grinding sound that is louder the faster I’m going. But the second that I give just a little bit of gas, the sound goes away and comes back right when I let off the gas again. The noise only occurs if the car is moving.
I bought a new driveshaft that came with new yokes in hopes that, that would solve the issue but that has not done anything.

I made a video that can be found at

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DS5nLJysWUA&feature=youtu.be

In the video it sounds like a howling sound, not the raddling that you can hear a bit in the video

• Sponsors (?)

For a rear end noise. Likely IF the sound changes with the application or reduction of power the problem is:
  • A worn pinion bearing
  • or incorrect pinion bearing pre-load.
  • or excessive ring gear free play.
Note, with a stock style pinion crush sleeve excessively hard clutch dumps can cause the crush sleeve to crush more. Which will change the pinion bearing pre-load.

Reactions: 1 user
For a rear end noise. Likely IF the sound changes with the application or reduction of power the problem is:
  • A worn pinion bearing
  • or incorrect pinion bearing pre-load.
  • or excessive ring gear free play.
Note, with a stock style pinion crush sleeve excessively hard clutch dumps can cause the crush sleeve to crush more. Which will change the pinion bearing pre-load.
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely take a look at that when I get a chance