2001 Cobra Oil Recommendation

fatboydj

May 28, 2004
Ford Specs Motorcraft 5w-20 Super Premium. I want to stay with a mineral based oil since I change it every 3K miles and my car generally gets light duty driving. Is any high quality oil such as Castrol 5w-20 equal to the Motorcraft Super Premium. I have never had problems on other vehicles with using a standard high grade oil as recommended by the manufacturer. It appears that a synthetic has possibly caused some excess oil consumption according to earlier posts. I don't know if it has been proven to be caused by the properties of the synthetic oil but I see the use of a synthetic as an unnecessary cost for the cobra engine. Does anyone know Ford's position on oil other than what they specify? Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I don't really see synthetic oil burning at a faster rate than a mineral oil during light duty driving, as in your case.

You can use 5w-20 & suffer no ill results (especially since you change your oil every 3K miles). The Motorcraft semi-synth 5w-20 is just fine, I've used it in the past.

Other owners, such as Joe Lynch, have also used 5w-20 oil while making numerous passes down the quarter mile track and not experiencing any oil related problems.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over what brand of oil you opt for (afterall everyone has their favorite - LOL), as long as you don't use a "no-name brand."

I would also suggest that you check the oil level on a semi-regular basis, no matter what brand of oil you run.

chuckystang said:
stupid question I know But, what is the difference between the "5"w30 and "10"w30? I FORGET haha I use 10w30 but someone said 5w30 in the winter would be better... :shrug:

Yeah the main difference between the 5w & the 10w designator means that the 5w will flow faster at cold start-up, which is why people in Northern climates tend to use an oil with the 5w designator in the colder months.
It's better for those "cold starts" and helps prevent engine damage at start-up.

*Both the 5w & the 10w will exhibit similar flow characteristics once they reach normal operating temperature.