2001 cobra

gray707

Jan 14, 2004
i need to know what all is needed to supercharge my cobra. what to do, what not to do. what brand. everything i need to know about putting supercharger on 2001 stock cobra.

• Sponsors (?)

No easy answer here....lots of different ways to do it, and lots of way's to get the same results. Here's the givens:

1. Need to upgrade the fuel system
2. Upgrade the MAF and injectors
3. Custom tune is critical

I'll tell you what I did. I went with the Vortech S-trim. This is recommended for the GT's because it spools fast. The GT's don't rev as high as us Cobra's, so they don't see the boost you will if you go with the S-trim. I see 12.8 lbs of boost. Vortech will recommend the E-trim; it will produce around 8 lbs of boost which is considered safer. Remember, our cars don't have forged internals.

My tuner and I decided (his recommendation) to go with the 03 Cobra MAF and injectors. OEM and plug right in. Made it easier to deal with tuning as well. I can't recall the fuel pump he added. It handled the power up to about 6K RPM...then it would start going lean. We added the Boost-A-Pump and that solved the problem. The BAP sends additional power to the fuel pump whenever it sees more than 3 lbs of boost. This was added to the customer computer tune.

Now, you and your tuner will have to talk about air, fuel, timing and what octane fuel you want to run. My timing was backed down quite a bit (can't recall # right now) and the a/f is set at 11.8 at WOT. I'm running 94 octane gas and I add a few gallons of race fuel for added safety against detonation.

Only problem I see occasionally is spark blowout. I'm planning a forged engine rebiuld sometime late this year.

My advice is, get what suits your plans for the car. If you want some get-up-and-go on the street, the E-trim would be nice. You would see low 400RWHP most likely. You could always go with a smaller pulley and see low/mid 400 RWHP. S-trim will get you mid/high 400RWHP. With full exhaust 500+.

The other things to think about are tires (you will need drag radials), what gear you have, transmission (can it handle the power for long; mine couldn't), and clutch. Last thing....without a forged bottom end, nothing is guaranteed to last, so be prepared for a rebuild if it comes to that.

I love my S-trim :nice: