Engine PI Intake replacement

nyjetfan

Dec 18, 2023
NC
Hello all - Dealing with my son’s 2000 mustang GT and the heater core nipple is cracked. It is a PI with the aluminum front coolant tube (not original 100% plastic).

I’ve seen notes about other cars fitting but nothing about flow characteristics and such.

Would a 3W7Z-9424-AE be the same intake (runner tubes, size etc) as the Ford PI? It fits the 2001-2005 Crown Vic and few other Ford platforms.

Or what years/cars would be the same intake aside from the mustang intake (which seem to be scarce and out of production).

Seems these might still be available new so would prefer to spend a little more on new but want to make sure it doesn’t hurt performance (supercharged and tuned to put out 420whp on dyno).

Thanks all!

• Sponsors (?)

The PI intake was discontinued last July. Machines that built it are gone. All the different versions are gone, so really you are just trying to find stock for a part number folks aren't aware they can order to get one.

I believe that intake (3W7Z-9424-AE ) will work as it appears to be a PI intake with an insulator blanket on the plenum (which can be removed). Another equivalent compatible intake is 9W7Z-9424-A which is the same as the mustang PI intake except it has the insulator blanket and the ECT boss is not drilled/tapped. I still see the 9W7Z-9424-A intake in stock on a lot of Ford parts wholesalers sites so they may still have inventory.

If you look down into the plenum through the port on top, you will see the part number 5110 molded into the bottom. This is the internal part number for the PI intake that works on the Mustang and other cars. The only other changes are the aluminum crossover or if it has an insulator blanket on the bottom.

This is a 9W7Z-9424-A intake on right. Original Ford PI intake on left. Only difference is the ECT boss. These crossover tubes can be swapped between the intakes. so don't let that be a hurdle.

1710775664253.png

Reactions: 1 user
The PI intake was discontinued last July. Machines that built it are gone. All the different versions are gone, so really you are just trying to find stock for a part number folks aren't aware they can order to get one.

I believe that intake (3W7Z-9424-AE ) will work as it appears to be a PI intake with an insulator blanket on the plenum (which can be removed). Another equivalent compatible intake is 9W7Z-9424-A which is the same as the mustang PI intake except it has the insulator blanket and the ECT boss is not drilled/tapped. I still see the 9W7Z-9424-A intake in stock on a lot of Ford parts wholesalers sites so they may still have inventory.

If you look down into the plenum through the port on top, you will see the part number 5110 molded into the bottom. This is the internal part number for the PI intake that works on the Mustang and other cars. The only other changes are the aluminum crossover or if it has an insulator blanket on the bottom.

This is a 9W7Z-9424-A intake on right. Original Ford PI intake on left. Only difference is the ECT boss. These crossover tubes can be swapped between the intakes. so don't let that be a hurdle.

1710775664253.png
Thanks this is extremely helpful. Any reason I couldn't just drill and tap the plug for the ECT? Looks like its just standard NPT threads there and they are built the same structurally.

There are a couple of spots where rhe neck material can bs shaved down and cut the broken piece off...can get you and extra 1.5 to 2 inches to use to attach the hose without having to tap...I did this and works great...take a look at the neck and you will see..

Ed