2001 GT Suddenly sputtering under accelaration

• Sponsors (?)

KronicRacer said:
you are also going to need the line loc release tool it works on a/cs too heres the pic

b8283b73.jpg

u actually only need a flat head screw driver. forget wasting money on that thing.

Attachments

• b8283b73.jpg
    b8283b73.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 145
Any updates here? Mine has continued to get worse with the hot weather. What's weird is that if I turn the car off and then start it again, it gets better for awhile. I'm suspecting the fuel pump. If it was electrical, I think it would be a more constant problem. I'm taking it to the shop next week. :nonono:

I've experienced a similar problem. Mine was most noticable in 5th gear, while pushing hard on the gas. Turned out to be a bad COP in my case. They boots let humidity into the plug wells, and they end up going bad.

Also, it should only take about 5 minutes of an undone negative battery cable to reset the computer. Not 2 hours.

GDawg said:
Or you can buy the cheaper little plastic ones that they sell at Pep Boys or any other parts store.
Agreed! Those scissor style tools are a PITA. The little plastic disconnects make it simple. I fought with the scissor type for 30 minutes, then got the plastic one - and I was done in 30 secs.

Here's a great website and an example of their write-ups - this one on how to chg your fuel filter.
http://www.bullittarchive.com/html/modules/articles/article.php?id=73
But I disagree on one point in the article -don't bother relieving pressure via the schrader valve - it's a waste of time. You will lose a bit of fuel when swapping the filter...but it's only about as much as the filter holds...no biggie. (Just expect to have a gasoline smelly hand/forearm til you take a shower!)

Shiroelex said:
I've experienced a similar problem. Mine was most noticable in 5th gear, while pushing hard on the gas. Turned out to be a bad COP in my case. They boots let humidity into the plug wells, and they end up going bad.

Also, it should only take about 5 minutes of an undone negative battery cable to reset the computer. Not 2 hours.

Hooked up a predator to mine today and got this code:

P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected.

It was hesitating real bad on the way home and check engine light cam on, too. Planning to yank the plugs on Saturday.

How much does a replacement COP cost?

trueblue said:
COIL PACK - CYL 8

Apparently the coil packs pitch a loaf right about this time. The car runs great!

They also tried to sell me $150 injector cleaning, nice try but no cigar.

Good luck to all of you, and thanks for the help!

-TB

So did they only replace one? a few? all?

trueblue said:
COIL PACK - CYL 8

Apparently the coil packs pitch a loaf right about this time. The car runs great!

They also tried to sell me $150 injector cleaning, nice try but no cigar.

Good luck to all of you, and thanks for the help!

-TB

How many miles you have on your car? My mechanic said that i may have coil packs going bad, after i took her there for a tune up because the car was doing the same thing yours was... had them replace the fuel filter and the spark plugs, which fixed the problem...

BTW... and this is a stupid question, what and where are the coil packs and what do they do?

BigChiefSmokem said:
How many miles you have on your car? My mechanic said that i may have coil packs going bad, after i took her there for a tune up because the car was doing the same thing yours was... had them replace the fuel filter and the spark plugs, which fixed the problem...

BTW... and this is a stupid question, what and where are the coil packs and what do they do?

The coil packs replace the old distributor cap and wires that engines used to have. Each one contains an ignition coil and sits on top of a spark plug. They are sending the spark to your plugs.

I'm NOT an expert, but this is what I've learned. Oh yeah, they are about $125 each at your local ford dealer.

When they are going bad, I guess they cause your plugs to go bad early. So replacing the plugs would fix it for awhile.

Looks like I fixed my problem!

Hooked up my new predator and got a code about misfire on cylinder#5. So I replaced plugs and the coil on that cylinder.

Might be too early to tell, but so far it seems to be running great!