2001 Gt Suspension Issues

white2001

Jan 14, 2015
I need some advice on my 2001 GT convertible. I purchased it last year and have fixed the problems with the engine and some other stuff, but I am wondering if the shocks and/or struts might need to be replaced. Whenever I'm on a less-than-perfect road it bottoms out if I don't slow it way down, but otherwise it doesn't "bounce" as some people have said it would if I needed to replace something with the suspension. I'm the 3rd owner and the car has never been in an accident. The last owner had it for 12 years and apparently serviced it regularly, but basically only the minor stuff. What do you think? Shocks? Struts? Both? Or is this just the way a 2001 rides? Driving slow isn't really what I bought it for. Thanks in advance for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

Is the car lowered? Do you see any visable seaping on the struts or shocks? How do you know the suspension is bottomed out? When you push down on a fender is it stiff, or does it give pretty easy? How many miles does the car have on it?

These are all questions that need to be answered before anyone could even make a somewhat intelligent response. The suspension is pretty straight forward on the SN95. A sway bar, struts and a springs up front. A sway bar, shocks and dampners, springs and 4 link busings in the rear. There aren't too many things that could be wrong...unless you got a car where someone hacked a portion of the springs out to lower it or something silly like that.

When my shocks were going out, my ABS would flash when I would try to stop at a stoplight or sign. I also got a lot of wheelhop when taking off. I am not talking about stomping on the brakes or flooring it from the stoplight, just in normal driving. I did not have the "bounce" because I had Steeda Race Springs. The original ones that were still has hell.

The test to do is go out while it is parked, and try to bounce the front and rear of the car. If you push down on the back bumper and keep doing it so that it is kinda bouncing, when you stop, does it stop instantly, or go up and down another 1 or 2 times? Same for the front. For you car to bottom out, it is really either springs or shocks/struts. Usually, it is the shocks/struts because they have a set rate of compression. That should stop it from bottoming out....unless they are huge bumps/humps. The Rebound is how quickly it stops the spring from pushing the wheel back down.

Test it out, let us know!

I need some advice on my 2001 GT convertible. I purchased it last year and have fixed the problems with the engine and some other stuff, but I am wondering if the shocks and/or struts might need to be replaced. Whenever I'm on a less-than-perfect road it bottoms out if I don't slow it way down, but otherwise it doesn't "bounce" as some people have said it would if I needed to replace something with the suspension. I'm the 3rd owner and the car has never been in an accident. The last owner had it for 12 years and apparently serviced it regularly, but basically only the minor stuff. What do you think? Shocks? Struts? Both? Or is this just the way a 2001 rides? Driving slow isn't really what I bought it for. Thanks in advance for your input.

Could we see a picture of the car?