2002 rattling noise during acceleration

ra552000

Jun 11, 2009
Hi all, my 2002 v6 auto is making a rattling noise almost like something is loose during acceleration in stop and go traffic. I have only heard it a couple of times on open road, and that has been during rapid acceleration as when I am passing someone. It does not make the noise while in park or neutral. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

this is gonna be a stupid answer but its happened and i've saved people hundreds with it....have some one drive or sit in the passenger seat and have them locate the sound in the car. you might have some thing laying around thats just flying around and rattling every time you accelerate.

Same thing happening in my 04, I only hear it when the car is on a fresh start and I accelerate though, when the car is warm enough it stops completely, is this the same with you guys? a brief description of the sound is that it sounds like a lot of electrical sparks are going off and it has more of a snapping rattle than if something were lose in the glove box or something of that nature. I need help too, Where is skymarshal and the founder of this site, they are the mustang gurus..

This may sound dumb, but you sure it's not a slight exhaust leak? The noise you describe allmost sounds like the clicking valve noise you'll hear when a minor exhaust leak up by the headers occur. It would be present when the engine were cold because it runs richer and the metal is still cold. Heating up expands the metal thus closing up any pihole leak you may have. This is also most present while accelerating as there is more engine load, and more exhaust noise + pressure occurs. I would check your header pipes and around the cats + bolted flanges for any leaks. The 02- 04 3.8's are notorious for cracking header pipes.

i have a 95 v6 and seem to be having the same problem.
During light acceleration, there is a hard rattling. This is not everytime, just every so often. It sounds almost identical to the sound of the rubble strip on the side of the highway. When it begins to make this sound, the way to stop it is to either let off the gas, or punch it. Any help would be awesome.

I'm not sure what the side strip sounds like. It's been about 13 years since I had to pull over on one..lol. Is there anything elese this (sounds) like? Has it always made this noise? is it a vibration, a loud noise, or just something you barely hear?

Btw, is your 95 a 5spd or an Auto trans? If it were an auto, I was thinking tranny noise, but you need to be a little more specific. So many noises can come from a car, and so many can sound similar, yet each one has a slight distinct characteristic in sound. I'd like to rule out some things here.