2003 Engine Noise GT Mustang

Mdetore1

Mar 14, 2018
Hey everyone,

I could really use some help. My engine is making a crazy squealing noise while idling during cold starts. If I rev the engine it goes away. Idler tensioner has been replaced, but it’s more of a whistle or squeal than a squeak. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it and same for the cold air intake. Video at this link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/62hg51zdrwfcciz/Video Mar 14, 5 13 04 PM.mov?dl=0

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Have you tried running it without the belt and listened? If you do it with a cold engine it can run OK long enough to check. Turn all of the pullies checking for feel and slop. A mechanic's stethoscope can be handy too.

That’s a weird one over the video. I would run with out the belt and see if it’s still there. Does it get worse with the AC turned on? It sounds like an alternator, water pump, or ac bearing is going out. Definitely gonna need a mechanics stethoscope

I will try without the belt. A/C doesn't make a difference on or off and it only seems to do it when it is cold and first started. If i rev the engine it goes away and after I drive it then it stops doing it. I replaced the intake manifold and made sure everything was tight and good on the top end. I am thinking it may possibly be the power steering pump? The pulleys and idler tensioner have recently been replaced too. I guess that leave ac compressor or power steering pump. Doesn't seem to have an affect on the performance at all. Just a terrible noise.

Harbor freight and a cheap 10 dollar stethoscope will be your best friend. Just listen to the alternator and the water pump. And the other ones but start with the alternator. It’s really hard to determine the noise through audio recording.

Harbor freight and a cheap 10 dollar stethoscope will be your best friend. Just listen to the alternator and the water pump. And the other ones but start with the alternator. It’s really hard to determine the noise through audio recording.

I’ll try that! Never thought of that before! I changed the water pump a couple weeks ago and the alternator is about a year old now. Hopefully it’s an easy find!