2004 GT 40th ann. Needs Power

lptheory96

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
Birmingham, Alabama
Just got my new ride last week, First noticed after i drove it is the 260hp didnt feel much better than my very mildy modified 215hp 96GT. Maby its just because I dont feel like im going as fast with stock exhaust. lol.

Anyway to the point, What good things could I treat my mustang to that would increase power without voiding out the warrenty.

I was thinking of air intake/cat back/Diablo sport tuner

I'd guess that'd send me maby NEAR 300 like high 200's?

Secondly, how much power do you see out of high flow cats? i dont wana put an O/R pipe on a 2004 under warrenty, that would seem stupid as hell.

Thanks for any possibly input...

-Kev

P.s what about the Straight-Shot 85mm Mass Air kit 02-04 GT i saw advertised in stangnets banners?

• Sponsors (?)

I have U/D Pullies, a K&N, Flows and thats it, honestly with all 3 of those things the only difference I noticed was that she doesnt bog as much in 5th gear going up hill in the 2k-3k range.
If I had the money to spend over again, I would start with the K&N get some headers (assuming you could do this yourself and swap for dealer checks) Mid pipe and then get the Mufflers after I had it setup from the engine back. Honestly finding the right application to go with your Mufflers is much harder than it would have been the other way around.

my bud had a 98 gt, i drove his car which only had a o/r pipe and flows. i compared his to mine before the mods. i had flows and aa crap cai (mac).

anyway the newer gts respond higher in the rpm range. i drove his car a couple of times. of the jump u might not think there is much of a difference.

you need to get on it harder. the 99 up excelle over the previous care 3,000 rpm and higher. most in third and fourth gear. the 98 and before die in the top end in those rpm.

my boy just traded his 98 on an 02 he likes the power much better.

GT performance.

Hey Guy,
How many miles do you have on your 2004 GT?
I bought my 2002 GT brand new back then and it felt sluggish and felt like it wouldn't rev.
The car didn't feel real peppy until I got about 1500 miles on it and then it felt a lot better.
But once it got to 5k miles and I put in Mobil 1 synthetic oil in it felt great.
Get some miles on the car and you will see it feels a lot better performance wise. The motor is a little tight and needs to break in and loosen up a little.
I have 25K on it now and it seems the more miles you get on it the better it runs.
About 4:10's get them, the best bang for the buck. Don't fear the gear.

I got the same question here. I have a 2001 Mustang GT with only 2050 miles on it. I bought this car brand new in August of 2001 and I haven't been driving it that much. It's really my garage queen. When I do drive it, I realize that when I drive it, it doesn't feel as fast as it should. Do you think that I have the same problem? Do you think that I too have to put more miles on it before my 2001 Mustang GT feels and drives faster? I would like to know. I've changed the oil in my car every 3 to 6 months ever since I bought it brand new. And I always religiously use synthetic oil during the oil changes.

When will my 2001 GT feel faster when I am driving it? Do I need to put more miles on it for this to happen?

Would gears void the warranty? I just got my 2003 about a month ago and I still have a set of 4.10's in the box that I was going to put on my 01 before I traded it in. But I don't want to have them installed if it will void my warranty just yet. Sorry to hijack the thread.