2004 gt premium..a/t..make model of transmission?

lenstar65

Mar 9, 2019
Delaware
Good morning everybody... New member here... My daughter purchased a 2004 GT premium... I love it! LOL... I am just wondering exactly what make and model of transmission are in there... It is an automatic transmission... And then my next question was going to be at what RPM's should I be shifting? It seems the wind out a little bit the first year... Then shift and run through second-year fine... Then shift to 3rd gear and quickly shift to 4th gear... It runs third-year a little bit but it doesn't seem right... That being said the car runs fine... I don't think the average person would notice what I'm talkin about maybe but... there are some issues with these Transmissions am I correct? As opposed to Transmissions with no issues LOL... Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Here's some information that will help you to "understand" your new purchase.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Since the 4R70W and 4R75W are PCM controlled automatic transmissions, any trouble shooting should start first with an inspection of the fluid level and condition. Then followed by finding out what the PCM is "commanding" the transmission to do when. By graphing:
  • RPM's
  • MAF flow
  • fuel pressure
  • engine load
  • TFT (transmission fluid temperature)
  • Command gear
  • lock up torque converted state
You can build an accurate picture of what the transmission is doing verses what the PCM is "commanding" it to do. THEN you will be able to answer your questions about "is this normal"? Once you have an ODB2 scanner, you will have this important diagnostic tool for TONS of other questions about your Ford product that may come up in the future.

Hint. I think you may find that what you "think" is a gear shift is in fact the lock up torque converter being "commanded" to lock up. If you make the "investment" in learning how to use an ODB2 scanner this will JUMP right off of the graph in a "light bulb" moment. Good luck with your new purchase.

Last edited:
A trans cooler for an auto isn't a bad idea but make sure you put a thermostatic valve in for it if this is a street car. You can end up over cooling the fluid on a trans just like you can on a motor.