2004 Mustang Steering Wheel Dead Spot..

Bmrrwolfe

Jul 20, 2012
New here, just bought my first Mustang (have always been a Jeep guy), its a 2004 v6 auto, pretty basic 40th anniversary edition with 120k. So far I like it other then it has a dead spot in the steering wheel..
When sitting in the driveway having someone turn the wheel, it looks like its coming from where the steering shaft meets the rack and pinion (the steering wheel spins the shaft a little bit before actually turning the wheels) I have read that there is a "rag joint" that commonly goes bad, but no parts stores seem to know what I am talking about. Any advice, or possibly a part # or link to that part? Or is there is a way to adjust the rack & pinion, or could it be the rack and pinion itself?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

For anyone who has similar symptoms, I removed the shaft, which was very easy to do, one bolt on each and just pull (I did tape the wheel to the turn signal lever, to keep it from spinning and breaking the clockspring) I found a bad bushing where the two lower sections meet and collapse causing the play.