Suspension 2004 Steering rack in fox body

AUBURN1111

Founding Member
Oct 17, 2000
Mobile, AL
Anyone who has converted to the 2004 GT power steering rack able to confirm if it was worth it and if the effort required to turn the wheel increased. I have an auto parts reman in mine and its way over boosted and you can turn it with one finger.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, force required to turn the wheel does increase.

I have an 03/04 Cobra rack in my car, and at low speed you definitely need some effort to turn the wheel.

My original fox rack was VERY overboosted. Could go lock to lock with my pinky finger with ease. Was the main reason I changed to my Sn95 rack

I used the MM steering shaft and put new fox outer tire rods on. I didn't have to change the inner tire rods. No problems with the hard lines. With the tires pointed straight ahead my steering wheel is turned a couple of degrees to the right. Just enough to be annoying. I can probably make some adjustments to fix that when I take the time to dig into it.

I'm not sure why I didn't paint the steering shaft before I installed it. Now I wish I had! Probably will end up pulling it out just to clean it up and paint it.

@Mustang5L5 so from what Ive been reading the Maximum Motorsports steering shaft and swap inner/outer tie rods and the hard lines should bolt up?

Yes, that's all I did. The SN95 racks come with metric inner tie rod ends. I just swapped Fox inners (SAE threaded) and a set of MM outer tie rod ends on (for a fox).

You can also just use 93 Taurus outer tie rod ends. They are metric threaded

Reactions: 1 user